Lattice constant of martensite?

In summary, the conversation revolves around running MD simulations of martensitic iron, specifically trying to find the lattice constant for a bct crystal structure. There is discussion about the stability of fcc and bcc configurations and the possible influence of carbon atoms. The recommended reference for further information is the Wechsler, Lieberman, and Read paper from 1953 or the Lieberman, Wechsler, and Read paper from 1955.
erin85
Hi everyone-

I am trying to run some MD simulations of martensitic iron. I am having a lot of trouble finding a lattice constant anywhere in the literature... I know the crystal structure is bct, so there will be some c/a ratio as well... any suggestions?

Erin

Physics news on Phys.org
I have done a little bit more research... but I am not well versed enough in steels to figure out if what I am saying is true.

I want to research the transition from austenite (fcc) to martensite. The potential I am using was written for ferrite (bcc), with a lattice constant of 2.8553, but I think it will still be stable for austentite. Doing a lowest energy calculation, I figured out the lattice constant for fcc is about 3.66.

Now, if I am simulating pure Fe, with no carbon, is it correct that the martensite will have a bcc configuration? I believe the bct deformation is caused by carbon atoms not fitting in properly... if so, then I can create an interface between some fcc and bcc, and let it run, and this would effectively simulate a austenitic/martensitic boundary. Does this seem correct?

I don't think you will find a useful c/a in literature because this is a strong function of composition and heat treatment (which means there's non-equilibrium weirdness hidden in it - probably from diffusion of C)!

The authoritative reference is supposed to be: Wechsler, M. S., Lieberman, D. S., and Read, T. A., “On the Theory of the Formation of Martensite,” AIME Trans. J. Metals 197, 1503 (1953).

If that's hard to access, try: S. Lieberman, M. S. Wechsler, and T. A. Read, J. Appl. Phys. 26, 473 (1955)

What is the lattice constant of martensite?

The lattice constant of martensite is the distance between the lattice points in the crystal structure of martensite. It is typically measured in units of angstroms (Å).

How is the lattice constant of martensite determined?

The lattice constant of martensite is typically determined using X-ray diffraction techniques. This involves bombarding the sample with X-rays and measuring the angle and intensity of the diffracted beams, which can then be used to calculate the lattice constant.

What factors can affect the lattice constant of martensite?

The lattice constant of martensite can be influenced by factors such as temperature, composition, and mechanical stress. Changes in these parameters can result in a change in the arrangement of atoms within the crystal structure, which in turn can affect the lattice constant.

Why is the lattice constant of martensite important?

The lattice constant of martensite is an important parameter in materials science and engineering. It can provide valuable information about the crystal structure and properties of martensite, and can also be used to predict and control the behavior of martensitic materials in various applications.

How does the lattice constant of martensite compare to other crystal structures?

The lattice constant of martensite is typically smaller than that of other crystal structures, such as austenite. This is due to the distortion of the crystal lattice during the martensitic transformation, which results in a decrease in the interatomic distance. This smaller lattice constant is what gives martensite its high strength and hardness.