Does Gasoline Cause Metal to Rust Compared to Water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for rusting in metallic fuel injection tubes in the presence of gasoline. The participants consider the role of water and oxygen in the rusting process and whether there is a coating on the inside of the tubes. They also mention the use of ethanol-based fuels and the potential need for anodization in fuel rails for cars running on E85. It is mentioned that steel tanks can rust from the inside out due to water in the gasoline.
Qaiphyx
If yes how about in comparison to water? I ask cause I was wondering how they stop the metallic fuel injection tubes from rusting out. Is there a coating or does it just not rust in presence of gasoline?

Im assuming that gasoline doesn't rust since its a hydrocarbon and water contains O, and rusting is the product of oxidation. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, I'm not sure, but keep in mind that gas tanks in automobiles, for example, often have a substantial area above the gasoline that common air sits.
Through condensation and other factors, the water and oxygen(and other gases) in that air is mixed to some degree with the gasoline.

Your question is not as simple as you think. "Rust" is a generic term for oxidation that generally refers to Iron Oxide. The same sort of oxidation reaction can occur with other metals. Water doesn't cause rust, but it's presence does facilitate the process of rust formation on Iron. I doubt that automotive fuel lines are made of Iron, or even of mild steel, for that matter. As for steel gasoline tanks; examine a very old one and you will discover that they do, indeed rust.

a metal cannot "rust" without oxygen. but i can corrode..im guessing there is a coating on the inside of the tube.

After working with old cars for many years I have found that steel tanks don't rust (internally) unless they get water in them (which they all do) that is with conventional gasolines/petrols where the water and petrol do not mix, in this case the water sinks to the bottom of the tank and causes it to rust in that location. Newer ethanol based fuels dissolve the water in petrol and reduce the rusting effect.

They'll rust, same as brake lines, from the inside out usually.
Fuel rails that are on the engine, aluminum I personally have on my car, are simply that, aluminum. I am thinking about running E85 on this car, and also about this being an issue, they'd possibly have to be anodized inside.

1. What causes gasoline to rust metal?

Gasoline contains a variety of chemicals, including water, sulfur, and aromatic hydrocarbons, that can react with metal and cause it to rust.

2. Does all gasoline cause metal to rust?

No, not all gasoline contains the same amount or type of chemicals that can cause metal to rust. Gasoline with a higher sulfur content is more likely to cause rusting than gasoline with lower sulfur content.

3. Is rusting caused by gasoline permanent?

Yes, once metal has rusted due to exposure to gasoline, it cannot be reversed. However, preventive measures can be taken to slow down the rusting process.

4. Can gasoline rust any type of metal?

Yes, gasoline can potentially rust any type of metal, but some metals are more susceptible to rusting than others. For example, iron and steel are more likely to rust than aluminum or copper.

5. How can I prevent gasoline from rusting metal?

To prevent gasoline from rusting metal, it is important to keep the metal clean and free from any gasoline spills. Applying a coat of rust-resistant paint or using a rust inhibitor can also help protect the metal from corrosion.