What should we call the type of dervative that isn't a partial derivative?

In summary, The conversation discusses the terminology used for the partial and perfect derivatives of functions and their relationship to ordinary and exact derivatives. Some alternative terms mentioned include "total" derivative and "exact" differential. The distinction between ordinary and partial derivatives is also mentioned.
cmos
For example, let f and g be defined as
[tex]f=x^2[/tex]
[tex]g=2xy[/tex]

I would say that the partial derivative of g with respect to y equals the perfect derivative of f(x). I've never been convinced that this is standard (or even correct) terminology. I am curious what some of you would use in place of perfect derivative.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought it was just called the derivative :P. Then again I haven't taken anything beyond elementary calculus so I can't really say.

Huh? The partial derivative of g wrt to y is just that. Just because the partial derivative of g wrt to y happens to be same as the partial derivative of f wrt x doesn't mean anything unless it's part of a certain class of DE problems. Why give it a new name?

In English, at least, that is called an "ordinary" derivative just as "ordinary" differential equations are distinguished form "partial" differential equations.

There is the concept of "exact" differentials in functions of several variables but that is a different matter. A differential f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy is "exact" if and only if there exist a function, F(x,y), such that dF= f(x,y)dx+ g(x,y)dy.

HallsofIvy said:
In English, at least, that is called an "ordinary" derivative just as "ordinary" differential equations are distinguished form "partial" differential equations.
I have heard it called a "total" derivative also.

DaleSpam said:
I have heard it called a "total" derivative also.

I would associate "total" derivative with "exact" derivative of a function of several variables. Of course, if we are talking about a function of one variable, they are all the same.

1. What exactly is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables. It can also be thought of as the slope of a line tangent to a curve at a specific point.

2. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A partial derivative calculates the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a single variable function.

3. What are some common types of derivatives?

Some common types of derivatives include the first derivative (slope of a line tangent to a curve), the second derivative (rate of change of the slope), and the partial derivative (rate of change of a multivariable function).

4. Is there a specific name for a type of derivative that isn't a partial derivative?

Yes, the derivative that isn't a partial derivative is typically referred to as a regular or ordinary derivative.

5. Why do we need to differentiate between regular and partial derivatives?

Differentiating between regular and partial derivatives allows us to accurately calculate and understand the behavior of functions with multiple variables. It also helps us to solve complex mathematical problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.