Uncovering the Mystery of UV Degradation in Polymers

In summary: As you can see, there is more visible and ir than uv. I was only saying the uv is more than x-rays and gamma rays, which are such a small amount that they would not even show up on this graph.
Beasticly
Hey guys, just trying to get my head around this one..

Why do UV rays effect polymer chains so much? I understand that they weaken the bonds within the chains to create free radicals which then go on to react with other things which eventually makes the whole chain degrade as a whole, but why are UV rays in particular so harmful?

Don't they have less energy/photon than visible light, which would make polymers mores susceptible to degration from visible light? Or is it something like there's more UV light rays than visible light rays?

I'm confused!

Thanks!

Also, I wasn't sure to put this in the physics section or here so feel free to move it if I've made a boo boo. :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Find a reference which breaks down the electromagnetic spectrum into the categories by wavelength/frequency. Use the E = hv (or its wavelength equivalent) relation to determine the energy of a photon in the infrared part of the spectrum, the visible part, the ultraviolet part, and the x-ray part. Which is the most energetic? What region of the EM spectrum is used to probe molecular vibrations? What region of the EM spectrum is used to probe electronic transitions? Do this first, and I think most of your confusion will be cleared up.

Good luck!

Beasticly said:
Don't they have less energy/photon than visible light, which would make polymers mores susceptible to degration from visible light?

Nope, shorter wavelength = more energy per photon. So u.v. photons are more energetic than visible.

Beasticly said:
Hey guys, just trying to get my head around this one..

Why do UV rays effect polymer chains so much? I understand that they weaken the bonds within the chains to create free radicals which then go on to react with other things which eventually makes the whole chain degrade as a whole, but why are UV rays in particular so harmful?

Don't they have less energy/photon than visible light, which would make polymers mores susceptible to degration from visible light? Or is it something like there's more UV light rays than visible light rays?

I'm confused!

Thanks!

Also, I wasn't sure to put this in the physics section or here so feel free to move it if I've made a boo boo. :)

In accordance with all of the explanations so far, the energy of the UV that creates hydrogen radicals from hydrogen gas for example, is the energy of the bond.

That makes a lot more sense now, but looking at a light spectrum I notice there's also xrays and gamma rays that have a higher energy again? Is it just that they are classed as UV too because they're higher than violet light?

Thanks!

GCT said:
In accordance with all of the explanations so far, the energy of the UV that creates hydrogen radicals from hydrogen gas for example, is the energy of the bond.

Is it possible to find the energy of a bond? I'd like to look at how additives added to polymer to make the polymer UV resistant affect the energy between bonds, so if there's some sort of theoretical calculation I can do that'll be cool, or is it something you can only do practically?

Beasticly said:
That makes a lot more sense now, but looking at a light spectrum I notice there's also xrays and gamma rays that have a higher energy again? Is it just that they are classed as UV too because they're higher than violet light?

No, they are considered separate from uv. Just as radio waves are not considered infrared.

Redbelly98 said:
No, they are considered separate from uv. Just as radio waves are not considered infrared.

So does the sun not emit xrays and gamma rays or something? If not, why are plastic manufactuers so worried about UV degration if there's xrays and gamma rays that will do more damage?

The sun emits a lot more uv radiation than it does x-rays and gamma rays. So while individual x and gamma photons are more energetic than uv, there are a lot more uv photons and collectively they do more damage.

Redbelly98 said:
The sun emits a lot more uv radiation than it does x-rays and gamma rays. So while individual x and gamma photons are more energetic than uv, there are a lot more uv photons and collectively they do more damage.

But doesn't the sun emit white light that is made up of light of every wavelength? Is it just that UV occupies a greater proportion of wavelengths than any other sort of light?

Here is a graph showing the relative amounts of uv, visible, and ir radiation:

http://www.uvi.edu/SandM/Physics/SCI100/Downloads/SCI100MeteorologyLectures/SolarSpectrum.gif

As you can see, there is more visible and ir than uv. I was only saying the uv is more than x-rays and gamma rays, which are such a small amount that they would not even show up on this graph.

Beasticly said:
But doesn't the sun emit white light that is made up of light of every wavelength?

"White light" means there is light of every wavelength over some extended range, often just covering the visible region.

More info is at:
http://www.globalwarmingart.com/wiki/Image:Solar_Spectrum_png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_radiation
http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=solar+spectrum&btnG=Google+Search

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find, Redbelly98.

1. What is UV degradation of polymers?

UV degradation of polymers is the process in which the bonds of polymers are broken down due to exposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun or other sources. This can lead to changes in the physical and chemical properties of the polymer, such as discoloration, brittleness, and reduced strength.

2. How does UV radiation cause degradation of polymers?

UV radiation is made up of high-energy photons that can interact with the chemical bonds in polymers, causing them to break. This process is known as photodegradation. UV radiation has a shorter wavelength than visible light, making it more energetic and capable of breaking more chemical bonds.

3. What types of polymers are most susceptible to UV degradation?

Polymers that contain carbon-carbon double bonds, such as polyethylene, polypropylene, and polystyrene, are particularly susceptible to UV degradation. This is because the double bonds are more reactive and can be easily broken by UV radiation. Polymers with aromatic groups, like polyesters and polycarbonates, are also vulnerable to UV degradation.

4. What are the effects of UV degradation on polymers?

The effects of UV degradation on polymers can vary depending on the type of polymer and the extent of exposure to UV radiation. Some common effects include discoloration, surface cracking, loss of flexibility, and reduced strength. In addition, UV degradation can also lead to changes in the chemical composition of the polymer, which can affect its overall performance and lifespan.

5. How can UV degradation of polymers be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent UV degradation of polymers. One method is to add UV stabilizers, such as hindered amine light stabilizers (HALS) or ultraviolet absorbers, to the polymer during manufacturing. These additives can absorb or dissipate UV radiation, protecting the polymer from degradation. Another approach is to use coatings or films that can block or reflect UV radiation. Additionally, storing polymers in a cool, dark environment can also help prevent UV degradation.