What are some unique ideas for a physics final year project?

In summary, the person is trying to find an idea for a final year project, but doesn't seem to be getting any help. He's been talking to us because he doesn't seem to be getting any help from professors.
virtueboy15
I'm just going to my second year in the university as a physics major and I'm trying to beat time by starting research on my final year project(something new and involves both theoretical and experimental ideas) but i don't seem to get any ideas.please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you working with a professor on this? (I assume so). You should look at the websites of professors in the department, learn about their research, see what you find anything interesting, and then go talk to the professors to learn more about their research.

Thanks,but I'm suppose to research and come up with one myself and not to use the professor to work my way to get a score.

Are you intending to work by yourself? Of course, that's possible, but, I think that a guided start could be better.

The final year project most likely involves having a prof as a supervisor, to help guide you and help you define a proper project. One of the hardest things about research is finding good projects, and that's why good advisors can be very useful.

virtueboy15 said:
Thanks,but I'm suppose to research and come up with one myself

Then why are you asking us?

If selecting a topic supposed to be entirely on your (own, which, by the way, is almost certainly not the case), you shouldn't be talking to us. If it's not, you should be talking to the faculty.

You also don't need the topic two years before you start the project.

Well,i feel preparing early will be an advantage to me.

Last edited:
I think it can be a good exercise to at least start thinking about it as this stage. That way you can spend time reading up on possible projects, and investigating different sub-fields. But the reason most students don't take this on until their final year is because they're still developing the tools they need.

Some things you might want to try are talking to professors, graduate students, TAs, and current senior students about what projects they have seen in the past or are currently working on. You can also start reading journals such as Physics Today to get a feeling about some of the more interesting research currently under way in the world.

Other things to keep in mind might be to look for a project that is going to give you a marketable skill (programming, experience with electronics, etc.) for when you graduate and perhaps an opportunity that could extend into graduate work.

Considering it's been five months, I hope he's found something by now

1. What are some factors to consider when choosing a final year project idea?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a final year project idea, such as your interests and skills, the available resources and equipment, the time and budget constraints, and the potential impact and relevance of the project to your field of study.

2. Can I work on a project idea that is outside of my field of study?

It is possible to work on a project idea that is outside of your field of study, but it may require additional effort to learn and understand the necessary background knowledge and techniques. It is important to consult with your advisor and ensure that the project aligns with your academic goals and requirements.

3. How do I come up with a unique and innovative final year project idea?

One approach is to review current literature and identify any gaps or areas for improvement in your field of study. You can also brainstorm with your peers, professors, and industry professionals for potential project ideas. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops can provide inspiration and insight into current research topics.

4. Do I need to have a fully formed project idea before starting my final year project?

Not necessarily. It is normal for your project idea to evolve and develop as you work on it. However, it is important to have a clear and well-defined research question or problem that you are trying to address, as this will guide your project and ensure that it remains focused.

5. Can I collaborate with other students or researchers on my final year project?

Yes, collaboration can be beneficial for a final year project as it allows for the sharing of ideas, resources, and workload. However, it is important to clearly define roles and expectations, and ensure that all collaborators are contributing equally to the project.