What's the physical meaning of true shear strain and simple shear strain

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of true shear strain and simple shear strain in engineering mechanics. The speaker is seeking a clear understanding of these concepts and has found some reference materials, but is still unsure. They also mention a Wikipedia link that may be helpful. Another speaker explains the differences between engineering strain and true strain using the example of a 1D line segment.
mydogsmall
:smile:Hey guys. I just get some information about true shear strain and simple shear strain from the lecture of engineering mechanic material .And i just want to know the physical meaning of true shear strain and simple shear strain.As a result, i have found some reference books ,but i still can't get a clear answer.:frown: Can someone give me a hint or recommend somethings that i can read in order to get the answer,please?

Physics news on Phys.org
mydogsmall,

Engineering strain (or linear strain) assumes that the relative-displacements between the points in the unstrained configuration can be predicted based solely on the unstrained configuration. This is not the case and I'll explain why. Consider a 1D line segment, in which you want to apply a strain [tex]\epsilon[/tex] to. If this strain was a engineering strain a simple multiplication of the strain with the unstrained line-segment length will give the newly strained line-segment length. In the case of true strain, the displacements of the points along the line segment will depend continuously on the line lengths between the unstrained and strained states. So if one were to deform the line in separate, but equal infinitesimally small strain steps ( d[tex]\epsilon[/tex] ). Multiplying d[tex]\epsilon[/tex] by the instantaneous length will give that strain steps contribution to the overall displacement. After summing up the displacements from each step, the final line length using true strain will be larger than that of engineering strain. I hope this helps.

modey3

1. What is the difference between true shear strain and simple shear strain?

The main difference between true shear strain and simple shear strain is their definition. True shear strain is a measure of the deformation of a material in response to a force applied parallel to the material's surface, while simple shear strain is a measure of the deformation of a material in response to a force applied perpendicular to the material's surface.

2. How is true shear strain calculated?

True shear strain is calculated by dividing the change in the angle between two line segments that were originally perpendicular to each other (due to the applied shear force) by the original angle between them.

3. What is the physical meaning of true shear strain?

The physical meaning of true shear strain is the amount of distortion or deformation that a material undergoes when subjected to a shear force. It is a measure of the material's ability to withstand shear stress and maintain its structural integrity.

4. Can simple shear strain be used to accurately measure the deformation of a material?

Yes, simple shear strain is a commonly used measure of deformation in materials science and engineering. However, it should be noted that for more complex materials, such as viscoelastic materials, other measures of strain may be more appropriate.

5. How does the magnitude of shear strain affect the mechanical properties of a material?

The magnitude of shear strain can greatly impact the mechanical properties of a material. High shear strains can cause materials to exhibit plastic deformation, resulting in permanent changes to their shape. On the other hand, low shear strains may only cause temporary changes to the material's structure, and the material may return to its original state once the shear force is removed.