Car rolling down hill 2-D motion problem

In summary, a car is parked near a cliff on an incline, with defective brakes. It rolls down the incline at a velocity of 20m/s and reaches the edge of the cliff, which is 15.1m above the ocean. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. To calculate the distance the car travels before hitting the ocean, the x and y components of the velocity must be determined. After solving for the correct components, the distance is found to be 2.40363923m.
Maiia

Homework Statement

Take down as positive. A car is parked near a cliff overlooking the ocean on an incline that makes an angle of 10.5 degrees with the horizontal. The negligent driver leaves the car in neutral, and the emergency brakes are defective. The car rolls from rest down the incline and has a velocity of 20m/s when it reaches the edge of the cliff. The cliff is 15.1 m above the ocean. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2. How far is the car from the base of the cliff when the car hits the ocean? Answer in units of m.

I think I know how to solve the problem, but I'm unsure as to whether the 20m/s they are referring to is the x-component, or the speed, in which case I would need to find the x and y components to solve the problem. I know that in a different scenario, if someone was running then slipped off a cliff that was level, the velocity they were at when they slipped off the cliff would be their x component. But in this case, the car is rolling off an incline... Would it be the same as the other situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the other situation you refer to, describes a level surface prior to the fall. In this incline surface problem, the 20 m/s is given as a velocity just before leaving the cliff. It has an x and y component.

hmm i see. Thanks!

i seem to be getting the wrong answer...would you mind looking over my process and telling me if I'm doing something wrong?

I first found the x and y components, then i plugged in the y component and delta y and acceleration into vfy^2= vi^2 + 2ay(delta y) and solved for V final. Then I put Vfinal into the equation Vf= Vi + ayt and solved for t. Then I plugged t and Vx into the equation: delta X= Vx t. I got 2.40363923m

Maiia said:
i seem to be getting the wrong answer...would you mind looking over my process and telling me if I'm doing something wrong?

I first found the x and y components, then i plugged in the y component and delta y and acceleration into vfy^2= vi^2 + 2ay(delta y) and solved for V final. Then I put Vfinal into the equation Vf= Vi + ayt and solved for t. Then I plugged t and Vx into the equation: delta X= Vx t. I got 2.40363923m
that looks ok, you might want to show your numbers.

ok so for Vx i got 3.64471051 and for Vy i got 19.66509815. delta y= 15.1 so the first equation after i plugged these numbers in i got Vy= 26.12807083. I plugged Vy and acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 into Vy=V0y+ ayt and got .659487008s as t. Then I plugged t and Vx into delta X= Vxt and fot 2.40363923m. I have an online thing that I'm supposed to submit the answer to, and when I submit it, it shows up as incorrect.

Maiia said:
ok so for Vx i got 3.64471051 and for Vy i got 19.66509815. delta y= 15.1 so the first equation after i plugged these numbers in i got Vy= 26.12807083. I plugged Vy and acceleration of 9.8m/s^2 into Vy=V0y+ ayt and got .659487008s as t. Then I plugged t and Vx into delta X= Vxt and fot 2.40363923m. I have an online thing that I'm supposed to submit the answer to, and when I submit it, it shows up as incorrect.
You have your vx and vy initial mixed up. The incline is 10 degrees with the horizontal. vx is vcos10, vy is vsin10.

wow...that was stupid of me -.- Thanks so much for your help :)

1. How does the slope of the hill affect the speed of the car?

The slope of the hill affects the speed of the car because it determines the force of gravity acting on the car. A steeper slope will result in a greater force of gravity, causing the car to accelerate faster and reach a higher speed.

2. What is the role of friction in this problem?

Friction plays a key role in this problem as it acts in the opposite direction of the car's motion, slowing it down. The amount of friction present will depend on factors such as the surface of the hill and the tires of the car.

3. How does the weight of the car impact its motion?

The weight of the car, or its mass, affects its motion through the force of gravity. The greater the weight of the car, the greater the force of gravity and the faster the car will accelerate down the hill.

4. Can you calculate the exact speed of the car at any given point on the hill?

Yes, the speed of the car at any point on the hill can be calculated using the equations of motion and considering factors such as the slope of the hill, the weight of the car, and the amount of friction present.

5. What other factors besides gravity can affect the motion of the car?

Besides gravity, the motion of the car can also be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape of the hill. These factors may impact the speed and direction of the car's motion.