What is the Best Major(s) to prepare me for nanotechnology in grad school?

In summary: From what you have said, it sounds like you would best be served by a degree in materials science and engineering. However, you can also get a degree in chemistry and focus on nanotechnology as an additional concentration, or you could get a degree in electrical engineering and focus on nanotechnology as an additional focus.
egregious1
Since I am about to start college, and I already know I want to go to grad school for nanotechnology, and I was wondering which major(s) I should take in college. I want to use nanoscience to fight diseases and cancers, and hopefully to stop genetic disorders. Initially I wanted to go into mechanical engineering/robotics because I love technology and robots, but then I have always had a love for science as well, and trying to cure diseases, succeeding where others have failed, at least that I know of. I feel that nanotechnology is a happy medium of science and engineering. I want that balance. But since we have no nanobots, is nanotech more science right now? I originally was planning on double majoring in biochem and ME, or biophysics and CE, because I wanted to be able to look at problems in the future with more than just one perspective. Instead of just a bio major, or chem major, I thought biochem would be a good major, and also a second major in engineering. Biomolecular nanotechnology is what I was looking at, but I just have no idea on how much of nanotechnology is science, and how much is engineering right now, and which majors would give me a solid foundation for grad school nanoscience. Any ideas or suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be really good in Chemistry in order for you to get into the field of Nanotechnology.

Is that it? Is it mostly chemistry based?

Some knowledge of physics certainly wouldn't hurt either. Also, it's best to start broad and then concentrate later when you really know that nanotechnology is what you want to do. So yes, broad degrees like chemistry and physics or perhaps math would be good places to start.

You can enter nanotechnology from electrical or materials engineering too.

Most nano classes at my school are offered under the chemistry and material science departments. Given that, I would assume you need a lot of chemistry and material science.

Can you tell me about materials science? And how it applies to chem/nanotech?

I have met people who have the following backgrounds in the nanotechnology field:

Physics
Material Science
Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Nuclear Engineering
Chemistry

and I assume from the above, Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering (due to similarities with the above fields)

My thermodynamics professor actually studies nanomaterials, and he is actually not a mechanical engineer, he is a physicist. The other fields mentioned above are the backgrounds of other professors at my school who are studying nanotechnology/nanomaterials

What is nanotechnology?

Nanotechnology is the study, design, and manipulation of materials on a nanoscale, which is about 1 to 100 nanometers in size. It involves the use of techniques from various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to create new materials and devices with unique properties and applications.

What majors are best for preparing for nanotechnology in grad school?

The best majors for preparing for nanotechnology in grad school are typically those in the fields of physics, chemistry, engineering, and materials science. These majors provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and techniques used in nanotechnology research.

Do I need a specific major to pursue a graduate degree in nanotechnology?

No, while having a background in one of the aforementioned majors can be beneficial, it is not a requirement for pursuing a graduate degree in nanotechnology. Many universities offer interdisciplinary programs that allow students from various backgrounds to specialize in nanotechnology.

What skills are important for success in nanotechnology research?

Some important skills for success in nanotechnology research include strong critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in laboratory techniques, and the ability to analyze and interpret complex data. Communication and teamwork skills are also crucial for collaborating with other researchers and presenting findings to a wider audience.

Are there any specific courses I should take to prepare for nanotechnology in grad school?

While specific courses may vary depending on the program, some recommended courses for preparing for nanotechnology in grad school include nanoscience and nanotechnology, materials science, quantum mechanics, and physical chemistry. It is also beneficial to take courses in specialized areas of interest within nanotechnology, such as nanoelectronics or nanomedicine.