Trouble with Yahtzee: Where Did I Make the Mistake?

• Thread starter chriszhao
  • Start date
In summary, when playing Yahtzee, it is common to make mistakes when adding up the scores. These can include forgetting to add bonus points, incorrectly adding in bonus points, or not counting the total sum of the dice correctly. To ensure accuracy, it is important to double check calculations and follow the rules of the game closely. If you are still having trouble finding a mistake, it may be helpful to have someone else check your calculations or use a scoring app/website.
chriszhao
The probability of getting a full house in Yahtzee,
here is my answer: (6C1)(5C3)(5C1)(5C2)=3000
but from different sources, the correct answer is 300
Where did I make the mistake? Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since a probabilty must be between 0 and 1, neither of those is correct! Did you mean "the number of different ways"? In any case, it is impossible to tell what you did wrong since you didn't post what you did!

Sorry I meant that the numerator I got was 3000 as in 3000/7776
where the correct answer is 300/7776

1. What could be causing my Yahtzee game to not add up correctly?

There are several common mistakes that can cause your Yahtzee game to not add up correctly. The most common mistakes are forgetting to add in the bonus points for a Yahtzee, not counting the total sum of the dice correctly, or accidentally adding in an extra bonus point. Make sure to double check all of your calculations to identify where the mistake may have been made.

2. How can I ensure that I am adding up my Yahtzee game correctly?

To ensure that you are adding up your Yahtzee game correctly, it is important to follow the rules of the game and pay close attention to each step of the scoring process. Start by counting the total sum of the dice, then add in any bonus points, and finally make sure to double check your calculations to avoid any errors.

3. I keep getting different totals when I play Yahtzee, is this normal?

It is normal to get different totals when playing Yahtzee, as the game relies heavily on chance and the luck of the dice. However, if you consistently notice significant discrepancies in your totals, it may be worth double checking your calculations and making sure you are following the rules correctly.

4. Are there any common mistakes that players make when scoring a Yahtzee game?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that players make when scoring a Yahtzee game. These include not adding in the bonus points for a Yahtzee, incorrectly adding in the bonus points, or not counting the total sum of the dice correctly. It is important to pay close attention to each step of the scoring process to avoid these mistakes.

5. What should I do if I can't find where I made a mistake in my Yahtzee game?

If you are having trouble finding where you made a mistake in your Yahtzee game, it may be helpful to have someone else double check your calculations or to use a scoring app or website to ensure accuracy. It is also a good idea to take a break and come back to the game with fresh eyes, as sometimes mistakes can be easily overlooked when you have been focusing on the game for a long period of time.