Pathetic Serenade: Korea's 1937 Pongchak Music

• Music
  • Thread starter Jang Jin Hong
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a music video that was released in 1937 in Korea called "Pathetic Serenade." It is known as one of the most popular Pongchak music in Korea and has a melancholy feel to it. However, the video link provided is no longer available and there are difficulties in accessing it. There is also mention of a different video or possibly a different version of the same video, but it is unclear if this is the same song or not.
Jang Jin Hong
Following Music was released in 1937 in Korea.
Named as Pathetic Serenade
It is the one of th most Pongchak music in Korea
What is the feeling of this song?

http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?clipid=3567466&q=%BE%D6%BC%F6%C0%C7+%BC%D2%BE%DF%B0%EE [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
:frown:
We're sorry, this video is no longer available.

Too bad, that happens an awful lot lately. Perhaps a big clean out or copyright issues? Perhaps you could find another or even upload another version.

Or is it perhaps Sonata Pathetique of Beethoven?

klZYv-f9kCE[/youtube]

Humm, youtube link may be different according to nation.
In my nation link is successful.
following link is another thing, this has problem too?
http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView.do?clipid=3567466&q=%BE%D6%BC%F6%C0%C7+%BC%D2%BE%DF%B0%EE [Broken]

That works, sounds a bit sad indeed. Nice performance.

It sounded a bit melancholy to me.

Jang Jin Hong said:
Humm, youtube link may be different according to nation.
In my nation link is successful.
following link is another thing, this has problem too?

I seem to get to some clip, but it keeps being interrupted by some cartoon of a girl with green headphones. I have no idea if it's an ad or instructions, because nothing on the page is in English. That's the same link as in the OP though, so I'm not sure what's going on.

1. What is the significance of Korea's 1937 Pongchak Music?

The 1937 Pongchak Music of Korea holds great historical significance as it was a form of music that arose during the Japanese occupation of Korea. This music was used as a form of resistance against the oppressive regime and served as a way for the Korean people to express their patriotism and preserve their cultural identity.

2. How did the Pongchak Music originate?

The origins of Pongchak Music can be traced back to the traditional Korean folk music called "pansori." During the Japanese occupation, pansori songs were adapted and transformed into Pongchak Music, which incorporated elements of western music such as the use of string instruments and harmonies.

3. What are the main characteristics of Pongchak Music?

Pongchak Music is characterized by its use of traditional Korean instruments such as the gayageum, haegeum, and janggu, along with western instruments like the violin and cello. It also features powerful vocals and emotional melodies that reflect the struggles and hardships of the Korean people during the Japanese occupation.

4. How did Pongchak Music impact Korean society during the Japanese occupation?

Pongchak Music served as a powerful tool for the Korean people to express their nationalistic sentiments and resistance against the Japanese occupation. It also helped to preserve Korean culture and traditions, which were under threat during this time. Pongchak Music gatherings were often held in secret, and the songs were passed down through oral tradition.

5. Is Pongchak Music still relevant today?

Although the Japanese occupation has ended, Pongchak Music continues to hold significance in Korean society as a reminder of the country's past struggles and resilience. It is still performed and celebrated at cultural events and serves as a symbol of national pride and identity.

Back