Potential energy for magnetic fields

In summary, we have a circular 10 turn coil with a radius of 0.05 m and a current of 5A lying in the xy plane. The system is subjected to a uniform magnetic field of B = 0.05 T i + 0.12 T k. Using the formula U = -m*B, where m is the dipole moment and I*A, we can calculate the potential energy to be -0.00511 J. However, the answer key states the answer to be -0.000472 J, indicating that the magnetic moment is not aligned with the field. To calculate this, we must take into account that -m*B is a dot product.
jaejoon89

Homework Statement

A circular 10 turn coil that has a radius of 0.05 m and current of 5A lies in the xy plane with a uniform magnetic field B = 0.05 T i + 0.12 T k (i and k are the unit vectors). What's the potential energy for the system?

Homework Equations

U = -m*B where m is the dipole moment = I*A

The Attempt at a Solution

B = sqrt((0.05 T)^2 + (0.12 T)^2) = 0.13 T

So for this I would get U = -0.00511 J, but the answer key says -0.000472 J... where's the mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming from the answer that the magnetic moment must not be aligned with the field, but how do you know this given the problem? And how do you calculate this?

Well, we have to keep in mind that -m*B is actually a "dot product". ;)

1. What is potential energy for magnetic fields?

Potential energy for magnetic fields is the energy that is stored in a magnetic system due to the presence of a magnetic field. It is the energy that is available to do work when the configuration of the magnetic system changes.

2. How is potential energy for magnetic fields calculated?

The potential energy for magnetic fields can be calculated using the equation U = -m * B * cos(theta), where U is the potential energy, m is the magnetic moment, B is the magnetic field strength, and theta is the angle between the magnetic moment and the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the potential energy for magnetic fields?

The potential energy for magnetic fields is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the orientation of the magnetic moment, and the distance between the magnetic poles. It also depends on the type of material and its magnetic properties.

4. How does potential energy for magnetic fields relate to work?

Potential energy for magnetic fields is a form of stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy or work. When a magnetic system changes its configuration, the potential energy is converted into work.

5. How is potential energy for magnetic fields used in real-life applications?

Potential energy for magnetic fields is used in various real-life applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and magnetic storage devices. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.