Junior in High School Honors Physics Bumper Project

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with identifying equations for a bumper design project in their honors physics class. The project involves designing and building a durable bumper that can absorb maximum shock from an impact. The testing conditions include placing the bumper on a car and releasing a 13 lb. impact block at a set distance to swing down and hit the bumper. The student is unsure of what equations to use but mentions that it may involve velocity and force. They also mention that the project is more advanced and they are seeking help to better understand it. No solution has been attempted yet.
delaneymarty3
Bumper Project: Need help with equations used.

I was recently assigned this project for my honors physics class. I don't want any help with the design itself of the bumper I was just wondering if I could have help identifying different equations that would apply to this.1. Problem Statement
Design Statement: Ford Motor Co. has hired you as a design engineer. Your employer realized that you have just graduated from the University of Illinois and decides to give you a top priority project. You are to design and build a durable prototype bumper that will absorb the maximum shock upon impact.

Testing Conditions: The bumper will be placed on a car (woodblock). The impact block (13 lbs.) will be raised a set distance (not known yet) from the ground. It will be released to freely swing down to the bumper, which is attached to the car. The bumper that absorbs the most impact from the collision will be the winner.

Homework Equations

I honestly don't know any equation that relates to this from what I have learned so far in my class.

I assume that it has to do with the velocity of a pendulum at a certain point to know what the velocity is when the block strikes the bumper. I don't really know if that is true or not but if so then I also would assume that this value would somehow help find the force that is being transferred into the bumper. Which would then help me find out some way of reducing this force as much as I possibly could. This project is more of an extra credit assignment and currently is way out of my understanding as it is also assigned to seniors but I wanted to see if with some help I could understand how the mechanics of this would work and make the best attempt I could at doing this using actual equations then just putting together something that I think would absorb force.

The Attempt at a Solution

None yet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give a list of the topics you have covered so far in your class?

Hello,

I can definitely help you with identifying some equations that would apply to your bumper project. Here are a few equations that you can consider:

1. Force = mass x acceleration (F=ma) - This equation can help you calculate the force that is being transferred into the bumper upon impact.

2. Kinetic energy = 1/2 x mass x velocity^2 (KE=1/2mv^2) - This equation can help you calculate the kinetic energy of the impact block before it hits the bumper.

3. Conservation of energy - This principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This can be applied to your project by considering the energy of the impact block before and after the collision with the bumper.

4. Newton's third law of motion - This law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of your project, this means that the impact force on the bumper will be equal to the force exerted by the bumper on the impact block.

These are just a few equations that you can consider for your project. I would also recommend consulting with your teacher or doing some research to see if there are any other relevant equations that you can use. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the purpose of the "Junior in High School Honors Physics Bumper Project"?

The purpose of the "Junior in High School Honors Physics Bumper Project" is to apply the principles of physics to design and construct a bumper that can protect a vehicle from a collision. This project allows students to demonstrate their understanding of concepts such as momentum, force, and energy, while also developing their critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What materials are typically used for the bumper project?

The materials used for the bumper project may vary, but commonly include foam, rubber, plastic, and metal. These materials are chosen for their ability to absorb and dissipate energy during a collision, thus protecting the vehicle and its occupants.

3. How are the winners of the bumper project chosen?

The winners of the bumper project are typically chosen based on the effectiveness of their design in protecting the vehicle, as well as their ability to explain the scientific principles behind their design. Judges may also consider creativity, presentation, and teamwork in their decision.

4. How does the bumper project relate to real-world applications?

The bumper project relates to real-world applications by simulating a common scenario in which vehicles may collide. By understanding the physics behind bumper design, students can apply this knowledge to real-life situations, such as designing safer cars or improving safety measures in the automotive industry.

5. What skills and knowledge do students gain from participating in the bumper project?

Participating in the bumper project allows students to develop a deep understanding of physics concepts, as well as critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. They also gain practical skills in designing, constructing, and testing a functional product, which can be applied to various fields in the future.