What Size Rheostat for 110 VAC 400 W Drymount Press?

• Thread starter dbirley
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has a drymount press that runs on 110V AC and is rated at 400W, but it runs too hot and has no temperature control. They are looking to build a control box with a rheostat to reduce the voltage, but are unsure what size rheostat to use. The general recommendation is to use a rheostat rated for at least 1.5 times the wattage being used, but if heat is a concern, an 800W rheostat may be necessary. Another suggestion is to use a switched mode device like a lamp dimmer or motor speed controller instead of a rheostat. In the end, the speaker was able to successfully rig up a control box using
dbirley
I have a drymount press that runs on 110 V AC, and is rated at 400 W. It runs too hot and has no temperature control on it, so I need to build a simple control box with a rheostat in it to reduce the voltage reaching it. Not sure what size of rheo to look for. Typically the "work cycle" of the whole unit could run to an hour or more, so heat dissapation on the rheo will be a concern.

Any suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A good rule of thumb is to use a rheostat that is rated for at least 1.5 time the wattage that you are going to use. In this case that would be 110 V, 600 watt. But if heat is a big concern you could even use an 800 watt rheostat. It will be more expensive, but it will probably be worth it.

You mention the rated power of 400 watt. If this is for the heater plus the press, you might be able to get by with something less. Do you know the rating of the heating elements?
Welcome to PF.

You want a switched mode device like a lamp dimmer or motor speed controller. Rheostats haven't been used for power applications for decades.

Pumblechook said:
You want a switched mode device like a lamp dimmer or motor speed controller. Rheostats haven't been used for power applications for decades.

Yup -- I had a big "Doh" after starting the thread. A dimmer switch with a 600W capacity is the answer, and I rigged the whole thing up using a 10' extension cord with molded fittings, whacked off the receptical end and wired it into a 4x4x4 box with a standard recep and a nice faceplate. Life is beautiful -- thanks to everyone for the input!

1. What is a rheostat?

A rheostat is a type of electrical resistor that is used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit. It is typically used to adjust the amount of current that is allowed to pass through a circuit, which in turn can control the speed or intensity of a device.

2. Why do I need a rheostat for my drymount press?

A rheostat is necessary for a drymount press because it allows you to adjust the temperature of the press. This is important because different materials and projects may require different levels of heat for successful mounting.

3. How do I determine the right size rheostat for my 110 VAC 400 W drymount press?

To determine the right size rheostat for your drymount press, you will need to calculate the resistance needed based on the voltage and wattage. In this case, the resistance would be 0.275 ohms. You will then need to find a rheostat with a resistance rating close to this number.

4. Can I use a rheostat with a higher wattage rating for my drymount press?

It is not recommended to use a rheostat with a higher wattage rating for your drymount press. This could cause the rheostat to overheat and potentially cause damage to your press or start a fire. It is important to use a rheostat with the appropriate wattage rating for your specific device.

5. How do I install a rheostat for my drymount press?

To install a rheostat for your drymount press, you will need to follow the specific instructions provided by the manufacturer. Generally, you will need to disconnect the power source, remove the existing switch or controller, connect the wires to the rheostat, and then connect the rheostat to the power source. It is important to follow all safety precautions and consult a professional if you are unsure about the installation process.