Square Root Simplified: Methods for Calculating Square Roots by Hand

In summary: For a quick and dirty "back of the envelope" calculation, halving the interval is usually good enough. But for more accuracy, Newton's method may be preferred.
Raza
Hi,
I was taking a square root of a fraction and I was wondering how to get a fraction result after I've taken the square root of it. And it also made it think; How do I take a root of a number in pen and paper, without the use of calulators?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you mean numerically finding the value of a root you can use Newton's Method; say you want to find the square root of two numerically, then whatever that number is can be treated as a variable x as such...

[tex]x=\sqrt{2} \Rightarrow x^2=2[/tex]

and by Newtons method we use the recursive formula,

[tex]x_{n+1}=x_n-\frac{f(x_n)}{f'(x_n)}[/tex]

You must choose a starting point [itex]x_0[/itex] that is close to what you suspect the root to be and in this case we can see that [itex]f(x)=x^2-2[/itex] so [itex]f'(x)=2x[/itex] so your first iteration will be (say we choose 1.5 to be the starting point)

[tex]x_{n+1}=\frac{3}{2}-\frac{\left(\frac{9}{4}\right)-2}{3}[/tex]

and you can see how it just continues from here. It actually converges rather quickly to a good approximation of the number.

If you want to try to find the square root in a manner similar to long division, Wikipedia describes a couple.

Hi Razza, you've asked two questions here but let me just address the first one.
Raza said:
I was taking a square root of a fraction and I was wondering how to get a fraction result after I've taken the square root of it.

Do you know about irrational numbers? They cannot be expressed as a fraction (that's pretty much the definition of an irrational number btw). In general the square root of a rational is not another rational, it can of course be rational but more often it's not.

In a way it's a bit like asking the question "I've just taken the square root of a whole number and I want to express the answer as another whole number". I'm pretty sure you'd realize that this is simply not possible in general. It's similar with fractions, the sqrt of a fraction can only be expressed as another fraction if the first fraction, in it's simplist form, has both the numerator and the denominator as an exact square.

For example sqrt(9/4) = 3/2, sqrt(25/9) = 5/3 etc, but in every case other than this type then you'll get an irrational answer, so no fraction possible.

I hope that makes sense to you. :)

Last edited:
However, if finding a fraction, regardless of rationality is what you want, you can do this.

Remember that a square root can also be described as an exponent of 1/2. And like other exponents, it can be 'distributed' to each number that is being multiplied or divided. Of course, if you can, you should simplify so that we don't have a square root in the bottom, so we multiply by root b over root b. So this is the process to use, in order to simplify square roots of fractions.

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}=\left(\frac{a}{b}\right)^{1/2}=\frac{a^{1/2}}{b^{1/2}}=\frac{\sqrt{a*b}}{b}[/tex]

Last edited:
Raza said:
How do I take a root of a number in pen and paper, without the use of calulators?

With great pain.

As explained above, you can use a numerical approximation. Alternatively, you can use the relation:

[tex]\sqrt{x} = x^{\frac{1}{2}} = e^{\ln x^{\frac{1}{2}}} = e^{\frac{1}{2} \ln x}[/tex]

Then, if you have a table of logs and exponents, you can calculate it like that. (Or any other root for that matter).

If you wanted to do it completely by hand, without any tables at all, you could crank it out by expanding [tex]e^\dots[/tex] and [tex]\ln \dots[/tex] with a series:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/cseri.html#c2
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/math/lnseries.html

Using standard rational-number arithmetic, you can approximate exp and ln to any accuracy you want, and thus, sqrt as well. It just might take you a couple hours. That is why, before the invention of calculators, people used slide rules and tables.

Here's an even easier way to get a fractional approximation to sqrt(a/b).

1. Select some error tolerance... call it epsilon.
2. Take 0 and a/b as endpoints... call them x and y.
3. Compute z = (x+y)/2.
4. If |a/b - z^2| < epsilon^2, then z is your answer.
5. Otherwise, if a/b > z^2, let x = z and return to step 3.
6. If a/b < z^2, let y = z and return to step 3.

This will halt when z is within epsilon of sqrt(a/b), and it must a fortiori yield a fractional answer. Also, it will finish after approximately t = log_2[ (a/b) / epsilon ] steps in the worst case... so for 23/7, with epsilon = 1/100, we have to iterate at most 9 times. Not to shabby...

Another method is using differentials. So say you want the square root of 23/7. Well, we notice that 23 / 7 equals 161 / 49, and 161 ~ 169. If we want the square root of x, y = x^(1/2), we find dy = [(1/2) / sqrt(x)] dx and can approximate y = 13/7 - [(1/2)/(13/7)](8/49) = 13/7 - (104)/(686) which comes out to something a bit higher than 12/7. And do you need much more accuracy than that?

9 iterations seems quite long for 2 decimal places.. and the Differentials method yields 1.70554, whose square is about 2.9, whilst 23/7 ~ 3.3 . I would say many people do need more accuracy than that.

Newton's Method in jeffreydk's post works extremely well however - a single iteration with a_0 = 1.8 yields ~1.8127, which is already 3 d.p. Another iteration gives 9 d.p.

csprof2000 said:
Here's an even easier way to get a fractional approximation to sqrt(a/b).

That method is know as "halving the interval". It's much slower to converge than Newtons method.

BTW. For solving x^2 = y Newtons method can be compacted to :

[tex]x_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2}(x_n + y/x_n)[/tex]

Slower, but easier. And both are good enough, depending upon how much accuracy you need.

What is a square root?

A square root is a mathematical operation that determines the number which, when multiplied by itself, gives a given number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3, because 3 x 3 = 9.

How do I find the square root of a number?

There are several methods for finding the square root of a number. One way is to use a calculator, which will have a square root function. Another method is to use the long division method, where you repeatedly guess and check until you find the closest square root.

What is the symbol for square root?

The symbol for square root is √, which is also known as the radical symbol. It is placed in front of the number or expression for which you want to find the square root.

What is the difference between a square root and a perfect square?

A square root is the number that when multiplied by itself gives a given number. A perfect square is a number that is the result of multiplying two of the same numbers together, such as 9 (3 x 3) or 16 (4 x 4). The square root of a perfect square is always a whole number.

Can you find the square root of a negative number?

No, the square root of a negative number is not a real number. This is because there is no number that when multiplied by itself will give a negative result. However, in some advanced mathematical concepts, imaginary numbers are used to represent the square root of negative numbers.