Laurent series for this function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Laurent series of the function f(z) = Sin(1/(z^2-z)) in the region 0<|z|<infinity. The suggested method is to use the series expansion of sin(z) without going through the exponentials for a cleaner solution.
Carl140

Homework Statement

Find the Laurent series of the function f(z) = Sin(1/(z^2-z)) in the region 0<|z|<infinity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now sin(z) = [e^(iz) - e^(-iz)]/(2i)

Shall we replace z by 1/(z^2-z) to obtain the Laurent series for f(z)?
I tried this but it gets messy. Is there a clever method? or any other approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try using the series expansion
[tex]\sin(z) = z - \frac{z^3}{3!} + \frac{z^5}{5!} - \cdots[/tex]
without going through the exponentials. That should be cleaner, but I haven't checked and I don't know if it's the best way to go.

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of mathematical series that represents a complex function as a sum of infinitely many terms. It is similar to a Taylor series, but it allows for both positive and negative powers of the variable, making it useful for representing functions with poles or singularities.

2. When is a Laurent series used?

A Laurent series is typically used to represent functions that cannot be expressed as a Taylor series, such as functions with poles or singularities. It is also used in complex analysis to study the behavior of functions near these singularities.

3. How is a Laurent series calculated?

A Laurent series is calculated by first finding the Laurent coefficients, which are the coefficients of the various powers of the variable in the series. These coefficients can be found by using the Cauchy integral formula or by using the residue theorem. Once the coefficients are known, the series can be written out as a sum of these coefficients multiplied by the powers of the variable.

4. What is the difference between a Laurent series and a Taylor series?

The main difference between a Laurent series and a Taylor series is that a Laurent series allows for both positive and negative powers of the variable, while a Taylor series only includes positive powers. Additionally, a Taylor series is centered around a point where the function is analytic, while a Laurent series can be centered around a point with a pole or singularity.

5. Can a Laurent series be used to approximate any function?

No, a Laurent series can only be used to approximate functions that have poles or singularities. It cannot be used to approximate functions that are analytic everywhere. In these cases, a Taylor series would be a more appropriate tool for approximation.