What Are the Potential Risks and Benefits of Genetically Modified Foods?

• Thread starter prime-factor
  • Start date
In summary: I understand that you're concerned about the potential effects of GM crops on our DNA, but I don't think that there is any evidence to support this concern.
prime-factor
Hello. I am new to this forum and am finding it to be a fantastic resource of information and people. So thankyou :).

I am interested to get your take on what you think about the risks/benefits of G.M foods/crops. The thing that has me concerned is the fact that no long-term human study has been conducted on it's effects and secondly I am concerned about the fact that live cancer viruses are present in (most of) the G.M crops (Cauliflower Mosaic Virus). Also what if this genetic alteration is causing all sorts of problems to our DNA that could affect future generations (not necessarily us at present).
Thanks guys, and I'm looking forward to your opinions.

prime-factor :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

Can you cite a peer reviewed paper that links CaMV to cancer onset? Or are you basing your assertion on the statements of cottage industry scare groups and crackpots looking to discredit GE biomass?

Merely because CaMV may have been used in the modification of plant DNA does not in and of itself mean that it remains present within the plant once the DNA itself has been set for germination and the host matures into its potential. Since CaMV is naturally occurring and is present in rather considerable percentages of naturally cultivated cruciferous crops, it would seem that homo sapiens has been subjected to CaMV for a rather large number of millennia of natural selection.

For dangers of Fluoride and its connection to Communism, see the movie Dr. Strangelove.

Good luck.

They are good points.
Researching the topic a while back I favourited this site:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/mwhoviral.cfm

It has some excellent information even though it is quite old.

But I ask this: Does it not seem unethical/unsafe to treat the population as a guinea pig for mass genetic modifications of foods and crops.

I just raise the point that there is no long-term study to prove that it is safe for human consumption. People have also reported better health/well-being fro eating organic foods (unmodified). It just scares me that this is being done without being first proven to be safe.

I will watch Dr. Strangelove soon :) . But do you agree that fluoridation it is forced mass medication, and even though it has been proven to be unsafe it is still being forced upon people (unless you fork out the money for expensive filters or buy bottled purified water)?

These sites also post articles/reports of risk of G.M food causing cancer/disease:

http://www.mindfully.org/GE/GE4/Cancer-Warning-Ewen-GM8dec02.htm

prime-factor said:
I am interested to get your take on what you think about the risks/benefits of G.M foods/crops.
Lots of benefits, few if any risks. We have, after all, been eating genetically modified crops for thousands of years.
secondly I am concerned about the fact that live cancer viruses are present in (most of) the G.M crops (Cauliflower Mosaic Virus).
Every thing we touch contains viruses. Can you cite evidence that that particular virus is capable of infecting people?
Also what if this genetic alteration is causing all sorts of problems to our DNA that could affect future generations (not necessarily us at present).
GM food has it's dna modified - it doesn't modify your dna. I'm not sure why you think it would.

The websites you have linked are, for the most part, spreading crackpottery.

Last edited:

Thanks for the response russ_watters.

I probably should have rephrased when I said "Also what if this genetic alteration is causing all sorts of problems to our DNA that could affect future generations (not necessarily us at present)."

What I am getting at , is whether it has any detrimental effects that we don't know of that 'could' indirectly (or directly) affect us and hence affect our DNA. I am just concerned at the fact that no long-term human study has been conducted on GM foods that can be held to scrutiny.

I do agree that there are many benefits of G.M foods. I in fact believe that the benefits of G.M to some extent outweight the risks . BUT that is because we haven't fully studied the risks!. I am just amazed that something so intrinsic to our lives (food) is being genetically modified and no human tests are being done apart from the mass- guinea pig test currently going on (unless you eat 100% organic-if that's possible?)

As it was already stated - almost every plant you eat is already genetically modified. Perhaps not using the newest lab techniques, but any kind of selection and crossing that end it hybrids is in fact genetical modification. That in turns means that we ate GM foods for the last several thousands of years. Hardly something really new on our tables.

When we are all stood shoulder to shoulder drowning in our own dross, we will need every advantage science can give us.

I am afraid that this thread doesn't meet criteria for a scientific discussion. Articles to unverified sources are not valid. We need actual medical peer reviewed studies.

There is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding in this thread. First, the CaMV promoter is used in genetic engineering, not the virus itself. Apparently there is a recombination hotspot in the vector, which would allow it to recombine with other viruses. I am not up-to-date with that literature. Second, the question is not about whether genetic modification is dangerous, the question is whether the current process of genetic modification is dangerous. Third, let's discuss one topic per thread (fluoride does not belong in this discussion). Finally, as said in the previous post, let's stick to reputable sources.

prime-factor said:
They are good points.
Researching the topic a while back I favourited this site:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/ge/mwhoviral.cfm

It has some excellent information even though it is quite old.
I've looked up the official correspondence on the paper that is mentioned in the link.

Here is an analysis that was published in Nature Biotechnology http://www.nature.com.proxy.library.uu.nl/nbt/journal/v18/n1/pdf/nbt0100_13.pdf", followed by another reply.

I hope most people here have access to the information. It would be nice if there is a plant biotechnologist here, who can comment on the latest techniques used for genetic recombination. The information is from 2000 and may very well be out of date.

Personally I am not concerned by the technology, the paper is not supported by real data that shows any danger. I wonder whether single-copy insertions are used to make transgenic plants, using some medium-strength promoter? (I would think so)

To Monique:

Thank you and I appreciate the links you gave, but I cannot access them because they require a login and password :( . Are there any other ways to access these sources. They look like an interesting read and I will look into them.

Yes. I agree that it is the 'current' process of G.M manufacture which is in question and and I also agree that a biotechnologist's input would be fantastic. I'm also glad this has been moved to biology :) . That's probably a much better place for the thread.

Okay. :). Looks like an interesting paper. I'll read it thoroughly this week when I'm not so tired.

What are genetically modified foods?

Genetically modified foods, also known as genetically engineered foods, are foods that have been altered through the use of biotechnology to introduce desirable traits or characteristics. This can include changes to the plant's DNA, such as adding or removing genes, in order to increase yield, resistance to pests or disease, or improve nutritional value.

Are genetically modified foods safe to eat?

The safety of genetically modified foods is a highly debated topic. While some studies have shown no negative health effects from consuming genetically modified foods, others have raised concerns about potential long-term effects. It is important to note that the safety of genetically modified foods may vary depending on the specific modifications made and how they are tested and regulated.

What are the benefits of genetically modified foods?

The main benefit of genetically modified foods is their potential to increase crop yield, which can help to address food shortages and reduce food costs. Other potential benefits include increased nutritional value, improved resistance to pests and disease, and the ability to grow crops in harsh environments.

What are the risks of genetically modified foods?

Some of the potential risks of genetically modified foods include the possibility of unintended effects on human health and the environment, such as the development of new allergens or the spread of modified genes to non-modified organisms. Additionally, the use of genetically modified crops may lead to increased dependence on a small number of genetically engineered seeds and reduce biodiversity.

How are genetically modified foods regulated?

In most countries, genetically modified foods are regulated by government agencies that assess their safety for human consumption and the environment. These agencies often require extensive testing and approval processes before genetically modified foods can be sold or distributed. However, some critics argue that these regulations are not strict enough and that more research is needed to fully understand the long-term effects of genetically modified foods.