How Thick Would an Infinite Plate Need to Be to Mimic Earth's Gravity?

• Thread starter quantize
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Flat
In summary: R(earth) is the radius of the actual EarthIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an infinite plate model for the Earth and how it compares to the actual spherical model. The question is posed about what thickness, represented by H, would allow for the same gravitational acceleration as on the surface of the Earth. The conversation touches on using Gauss's Law for gravitation and finding the integral of the two models. Ultimately, it is determined that the thickness of the infinite plate would need to be 2/3 of the radius of the actual Earth in order to have the same gravitational acceleration.
quantize

Homework Statement

Imagine the Earth is indeed not a sphere of radius r, but an infinite plate of thickness H. What value of H is needed to allow the same gravitational acceleration to be experiences as on the surface of the actual Earth? (Assume the Earth's density is uniform and equal in the two models.)

r Earth = 6370km
g = 9.81 N/kg
m Earth = 5.91 * 10^24 kg

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have tried to set up gauss's law(for gravitation instead) as Integral(g dot dA) for the spherical earth, and set it equal to the Integral(g dot dA) of a infinite plate version of earth. I get h = r * sqrt(2pi), which is not correct.

Can anyone tell me if I am in the general correct direction with my idea to use gauss's law for gravitational fields? My main trouble is the thickness of an infinite plate. How is this possible, in class we only learned about infinite plates w/o thickness, and parallel plates. Is this a special version of parallel plates, and if so, how does one bring H into the equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you just use Newton's Law of gravitation? Basically, you can write the Earth's mass in terms of the thickness, then equate the two equations, solving for t?

Okay, so I figured it out and no longer need help.

What I did was find the integral(g dot dA) of the spherical earth, which was 4piGm, and set that equal to the integral(g dot dA) of the infinite plate earth. Evaluating the integral, and doing some tricky substitutions with p = m/v, I found that the H(thickness) = 2/3 R(earth)

1. What evidence supports the idea that the Earth is flat?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that the Earth is flat. All available evidence, including satellite imagery and observations from space, points to the fact that the Earth is actually an oblate spheroid.

2. How do you explain gravity on a flat Earth?

In order for gravity to exist on a flat Earth, there would have to be a massive and unknown force pulling objects towards the center of the Earth. This force has never been observed or measured, and it goes against our current understanding of gravity based on the shape of the Earth.

3. Can you see the curvature of the Earth from an airplane?

Yes, it is possible to see the curvature of the Earth from high altitudes, such as on an airplane. This is due to the Earth's large size and the fact that our vision is limited by the horizon.

4. If the Earth is flat, why do we have different time zones?

Time zones exist because the Earth is a sphere that rotates on its axis, causing different areas to experience daylight at different times. On a flat Earth, this would not be the case and there would be no need for time zones.

5. How do you explain the changing positions of the stars and constellations throughout the night?

The movement of stars and constellations is caused by the Earth's rotation on its axis. On a flat Earth, these movements would not occur in the same way as we observe them, and the position of stars would not change throughout the night.