How Much Should the Microscope Be Raised After Adding a Plastic Layer?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a microscope, a piece of plastic with a certain index of refraction, and the adjustment of the microscope's objective to refocus on a black dot. The person is struggling with understanding the problem and is seeking help. It is mentioned that there is an equation that relates refractive index to real and apparent depth.
RafaFutbol
Problem:
A microscope is focussed on a black dot. You place a 1cm thick piece of plastic, with an index of refraction of 1.67, over the dot. By how much must you raise the microscope's objective for the dot to be in focus again?

Ok, so I'm not sure how to that question at all. Waves and Lights don't seem to click well with me, and it's hard to visualize the problem. I don't even know what formula(s) I would use.

Any help with these is really appreciated! I just need to be steered in the right direction
Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I solved the first problem posted, so I deleted it.
I still need major help with this one though!

The black dot will appear to be closer,for the same reason that a swimming pool seems to be shallower.There is a simple equation linking refractive index with real depth and apparent depth.

1. How does light travel?

Light travels in waves, which are a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space and matter. These waves are made up of electric and magnetic fields that vibrate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of the wave's movement.

2. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is a range of all types of electromagnetic radiation, including light, radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. These different types of radiation have different wavelengths and frequencies, and can be used for various purposes such as communication, imaging, and energy production.

3. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in three main ways: reflection, absorption, and transmission. Reflection occurs when light bounces off the surface of an object. Absorption occurs when light is absorbed by the object, causing it to heat up. Transmission occurs when light passes through the object without being absorbed or reflected.

4. How does the eye perceive light?

The eye perceives light through a complex process involving the cornea, pupil, lens, and retina. When light enters the eye, it is first focused by the cornea and then the lens onto the retina, which contains specialized cells called photoreceptors. These cells convert light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain via the optic nerve, allowing us to see images and colors.

5. How does light affect our vision?

Light plays a crucial role in our vision, as it is the source of all visual information. The amount and quality of light can affect how well we are able to see, as too little light can result in poor visibility and too much light can cause glare and discomfort. Additionally, the color and intensity of light can also have an impact on our perception of objects and images.