Mathematica showing strange output for elliptic integral

In summary, the conversation is about a discrepancy between the results of a calculus problem. The speaker's result is slightly different from Mathematica's result, which has a small imaginary part. The speaker believes they did not make any mistakes and wonders if there is an issue with Mathematica.
springo
Hi,
I was studying calculus and I had a problem while checking my results.

I came to the following result:
[tex]\int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sin t}}\:\mathrm{d}t = \sqrt{2}\cdot \mathrm{F}\left(\frac{\pi}{4},\frac{1}{4}\right) \approx1.16817[/tex]

However, Mathematica shows:
[tex]\int_{\frac{\pi}{6}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sin t}}\:\mathrm{d}t = 2\cdot \mathrm{F}\left(\frac{\pi}{6},2\right) \approx1.16817-9.26622\cdot10^{-17}\mathrm{i}[/tex]
The results are almost identical (numerically) and I believe I didn't make any mistakes... is there a problem with Mathematica here?

Thanks for your help.

PS: Sorry for not using the template but it didn't make much sense here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the integral should definitely be a real number. It is a common problem with Mathematica that small imaginary parts appear due to rounding errors.

1. Why is Mathematica showing strange output for the elliptic integral?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to incorrect input, improper use of the syntax, or a bug in the Mathematica software. It is important to double-check your input and consult the documentation or online resources for proper usage.

2. How can I troubleshoot and fix the strange output for the elliptic integral in Mathematica?

First, make sure you have input the integral correctly and are using the correct syntax. You can also try using different methods or options for the integral function. If the issue persists, it is possible that there is a bug in the software. You can report it to the Mathematica support team for further assistance.

3. Can other software or programming languages compute elliptic integrals more accurately than Mathematica?

It is highly unlikely that other software or programming languages would compute elliptic integrals more accurately than Mathematica. However, it is always a good idea to compare results from different sources to ensure accuracy.

4. Are there any known limitations or special considerations when using Mathematica for elliptic integrals?

Yes, there are certain limitations and considerations to keep in mind when using Mathematica for elliptic integrals. These include accuracy issues with complex values, potential bugs in the software, and the need for proper input syntax. It is important to consult the documentation and online resources for guidance on using Mathematica for elliptic integrals.

5. How can I learn more about using Mathematica for computing elliptic integrals?

The best way to learn more about using Mathematica for computing elliptic integrals is to consult the documentation and online resources provided by the Wolfram company. There are also various tutorials, forums, and online communities where you can ask questions and learn from experienced Mathematica users.