Calculating Shade Projection for Beach Sun Shade - Math Homework Solution

In summary, two math students have erected a sun shade on the beach that is 1.5 m tall, 2 m wide, and makes a 60° angle with the ground. The question is asking for the area of shade that the students have to sit in at 12 noon, assuming the sun's rays are shining directly down. The formula for finding the projection of the shade onto the ground is needed to solve this problem. The angle of 60° is with the piece of the shade that goes into the ground. To solve this problem, one can use the fact that 60° is an angle in an equilateral triangle and that the edge of the shadow, with the sunlight coming straight down, is at the perpendicular
unknown101

Homework Statement

Two math students erect a sun shade on the beach. The shade is 1.5 m tall, 2 m wide, and makes an angle of 60° with the ground. What is the area of shade that the students have to sit in at 12 noon (that is, what is the projection of the shade onto the ground)? (Assume the sun’s rays are shining directly down).

Homework Equations

I've attached the formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing a diagram with 2m at the bottom and the height being 1.5. I know I'm supposed to use the projection formula. After that I'm lost.

Attachments

• projaontob.gif
    projaontob.gif
    562 bytes · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Just for my own clarity, does it make a 60° angle with the bit that goes in the ground or with the actual shade itself? Could you produce a diagram if this seems to be a silly question?

The Bob

With the piece that goes in the ground. The problem didn't come with a diagram because so you have to come up with your own.

60 degrees is an angle in an equilateral triangle. The edge of the shadow, with the sunlight coming straight down is at the perpendicular from the vertex. This is very close to being a trivial problem!

how would u solve this problem guys?

hossai said:
how would u solve this problem guys?

Hi hossai. Welcome to PF!

The idea of these threads is to help each other solve problems they have. So, if you'd like to venutre an attempt at the solution or method for solving this then we could discuss it further.

The Bob

1. What is a sun shade projection?

A sun shade projection is a technique used to predict and map the movement of shadows created by the sun at different times of the day. This can be used to determine the best placement for buildings or outdoor structures to maximize shade coverage.

2. How does sun shade projection work?

Sun shade projection works by using computer software to simulate the position of the sun at different times of the day and year. This information is then used to create a map of the area, showing the areas of shade and sunlight at different times.

3. What are the benefits of using sun shade projection?

The main benefit of using sun shade projection is that it can help architects and urban planners determine the best placement for buildings and structures to optimize natural shade and reduce energy costs. It can also be used to plan outdoor spaces and gardens to maximize shade and create comfortable outdoor environments.

4. What factors affect sun shade projection?

The main factors that affect sun shade projection are the latitude and longitude of the location, the time of day, and the time of year. Other factors such as surrounding buildings, trees, and topography can also impact the projection.

5. How accurate is sun shade projection?

Sun shade projection is generally very accurate, but it can vary depending on the complexity of the surrounding environment and the accuracy of the data used. It is important to use up-to-date and precise data for the most accurate projections.