What Math Courses Should I Take for My Physics Major?

• Courses
  • Thread starter freelance4lyf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, For a physics major, it is recommended to take linear algebra, PDEs, ODEs, and complex analysis. Topology, set theory, analysis, numerical analysis, and combinatorics may also be beneficial depending on personal interests and future career goals.
freelance4lyf
MORE Math Course questions!

I am a second year physics major at Santa Clara University with a minor in philosophy and I am strongly considering another minor in Math. The physics program here is very small, and I decided to be a physics major after I had decided to come here, but the good thing is I get to know the professors quite well and I learn a lot because of that. I am planning for grad school but not sure which field (I am interested in cosmology, QM, astro, nothing specific...) or if I want to go for theoretical or experimental study (I am leaning towards theoretical but not sure).

Anyway, I am pretty oblivious to how much math or which math courses I may need. Because its a small school in general, the more advanced courses are offered every other year for only one quarter, and I am studying abroad next fall so my options are limited. But here are the courses that I will probably be able to take:

Linear Algebra (lower division)

Advanced Calculus, Linear Algebra II (upper division), or Probability and Statistics I but only one.

Partial Differential Equations

Ordinary Differential Equations

Differential Geometry

I don't know when the following will be offered, but they are in the course catalog:
Theory of Functions of a Complex Variable
Topology
Set Theory
Intermediate Analysis I
Numerical Analysis
Combinatorics

I have already taken Calculus i-iv (includes differential, integral, vector, and multivariable) and Differential Equations. I have intro physics i-iv (includes intro to modern) and circuits, and am taking EM I and Computational Mechanics this quarter.

Any advice on this somewhat unique situation is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

If you're interested in QM, linear algebra would be good to have a lot of. It's a useful subject in general.

if you want just math that's useful for physics take the pde, ode, lin alg sequences. and if you have time complex vars, numerical analysis.

if you want to know math take all of them. the only two don't personally interest me are combinatorics and probability and statistics but are still fun.

It goes without saying that PDEs IS physics. Linear algebra is also a must. These two subjects are absolutely fundamental for future study.

Complex analysis is a good subject, it will help you evaluate integrals and introduce you to a very analytic mathematics; it has some applications in physics. Topology isn't really useful for physics unless you get very theoretical. Set theory is almost as useless, its just a rigorous formulation of facts you already likely know (regarding numbers, functions, and... well, sets). Analysis is rigorous calculus; some of it is quite useful to the scientists. Numerical analysis is another one you should consider, as most problems in the real world will require numerical methods and not analytic ones. Combinatorics is fun as hell, though beyond maybe statistical mechanics I don't see it being used anywhere.

1. What is the purpose of a "MORE Math Course"?

The purpose of a "MORE Math Course" is to provide students with a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and applications, beyond what is typically covered in a standard math course. It is designed to challenge and engage students in critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Who is the target audience for a "MORE Math Course"?

The target audience for a "MORE Math Course" is typically high school or college students who have a strong interest and aptitude in mathematics, and are looking to further develop their skills and knowledge in the subject.

3. How is a "MORE Math Course" different from a regular math course?

A "MORE Math Course" differs from a regular math course in that it covers more advanced and complex concepts, and often utilizes more abstract and theoretical approaches to problem-solving. It also tends to have a more rigorous and challenging curriculum.

4. What are the benefits of taking a "MORE Math Course"?

There are several benefits to taking a "MORE Math Course", including a deeper understanding and appreciation for the subject, improved critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and better preparation for higher education and careers in mathematical fields.

5. What topics are typically covered in a "MORE Math Course"?

The topics covered in a "MORE Math Course" may vary, but they often include advanced algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus, and statistics. Other topics may include number theory, discrete mathematics, and complex analysis.