Physics or Engineering Degree?

In summary: Yes. SpaceX is a good example of a company that contracts with NASA. Theyspecialize in the development of spacecraft and rocket engines.
haloshade
Hello! New here.

For a while I have been setting my eyes on NASA for my future career, and I'm stuck on what degree I should major in. I have looked at Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering Physics, and Phyiscs. Which one should I go for if I were to work for NASA or a company that contracts to them?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on what you want to do. NASA would employ all of those degree types. Any aerospace company has a diverse workforce necessary to tackle any project.

What does the Engineering Physics degree look like? From looking at just a few Universities, it seems like Engineering physics can have a wide variety of meaning (or rather required courses).

An Engineering Physics degree looks mostly like what the name implies. Its an engineering degree from a science standpoint. To give a divide between engineering and engineering physics, consider the following scenario.

'A manned mission to mars.'
(examples only)

Engineering Physicist: 'Is this travel realizable with the resources available? If so what type of vehicle would we use?'

Engineer says: 'OK, how would we design and build a vehicle to be able to get to mars?'

So you see the slight divide. That being said the courses are constructed around more of the Science of Engineering and is (as all engineering courses are) heavily mathematically oriented.

Would it matter if the Engineering Physics degree was ABET accredited?

djeitnstine said:
An Engineering Physics degree looks mostly like what the name implies. Its an engineering degree from a science standpoint. To give a divide between engineering and engineering physics, consider the following scenario.

'A manned mission to mars.'
(examples only)

Engineering Physicist: 'Is this travel realizable with the resources available? If so what type of vehicle would we use?'

Engineer says: 'OK, how would we design and build a vehicle to be able to get to mars?'

So you see the slight divide. That being said the courses are constructed around more of the Science of Engineering and is (as all engineering courses are) heavily mathematically oriented.
Thanks for that description, I had a slight understanding of what an engineer physictist was but that helped a lot on a summerization of the degree.

Still undecided, but I want to work somewhere in the space travel area of NASA.

haloshade said:
Thanks for that description, I had a slight understanding of what an engineer physictist was but that helped a lot on a summerization of the degree.

Still undecided, but I want to work somewhere in the space travel area of NASA.

You can choose any discipline you like and still achieve that goal. You just have to be really good at what you do. There is no 'one' degree that will get you there only you can get yourself there. =]

If you want to work at NASA, you're more likely to do so with an engineering degree. Aerospace, electrical, and mechanical are all good choices.

However, you may not WANT to work at NASA because its a bloated, slow, disorganized government organization where your creativity will be stifled and innovation not rewarded ;)

-subSquall

The Subversive Guide to Engineering
Latest Post: Grades vs. Effort: The Engineering S-Curve
http://subversiveguidetoeng.blogspot.com/

Does NASA recruit applied mathematicians?

Personally I don't think so but I'm just wondering.

subSquall said:
If you want to work at NASA, you're more likely to do so with an engineering degree. Aerospace, electrical, and mechanical are all good choices.

However, you may not WANT to work at NASA because its a bloated, slow, disorganized government organization where your creativity will be stifled and innovation not rewarded ;)

-subSquall

The Subversive Guide to Engineering
Latest Post: Grades vs. Effort: The Engineering S-Curve
http://subversiveguidetoeng.blogspot.com/

Since you mention that, do you know of any other companies that also work in the Space industry that would be a good backup?

1. What is the difference between a physics and engineering degree?

A physics degree focuses on the fundamental principles and laws of nature, while an engineering degree applies those principles to design and build practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Can I pursue a career in both physics and engineering with either degree?

While it is possible to switch between careers in physics and engineering with either degree, it may require additional coursework or on-the-job training to gain the necessary skills and knowledge.

3. What are the job prospects for someone with a physics or engineering degree?

Both physics and engineering are highly in-demand fields, with a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as technology, aerospace, energy, and healthcare.

4. Is it possible to double major in physics and engineering?

Some universities offer a combined program that allows students to earn a double major in both physics and engineering. However, this may require a heavier course load and may take longer to complete.

5. What skills do I need to succeed in a physics or engineering degree program?

To excel in a physics or engineering degree, you will need a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and strong communication and teamwork skills.