How Much Would a Trillion Dollars Weigh & Trees Used

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I believe some platinum (and perhaps silver) is similarly treated. I think the point is to possesses it. :rolleyes:Yes, platinum is often cast into ingots and stored away as a store of value. Gold is sometimes cast into ingots and stored away as a store of value.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If it were paper money how much would that weigh in hundred dollar bills, how many trees would it equate to.

Physics news on Phys.org
A US bill weighs about a gram so $1,000,000,000,000 in $100 notes would weigh 10,000,000,000 grams or 10,000,000 Kg. Hmm... 10 million kilos is a lot of trees.

For the record, though, US currency is printed on rag-stock, not paper and long-cotton fiber fabric is the preferred feed-stock. Think Fruit of the Loom undies and bleached denim waste from clothing manufacture. It appears that someone has been reading about the G20, the World Bank, and the IMF...

BTW, please ask your queen not to be so grabby as to put her arm around our First Lady. We have protocols to observe, you know. :tongue:

wolram said:
If it were paper money how much would that weigh in hundred dollar bills, how many trees would it equate to.

Paper money is not made from trees:

With paper money, the materials are as important as the manufacturing process in producing the final product. The paper, also known as the substrate, is a special blend of 75% cotton and 25% linen to give it the proper feel.

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Paper-Currency.html

One trillion is 1000 billion, so it would equal to 1000/100 = 10 billion $100 dollar bills.

According this this source 1 ton of paper is made from 12 trees.

http://www.conservatree.com/learn/EnviroIssues/TreeStats.shtml

1 bill weighs about 1 gram and that equals to 1.1 *10^-6 tons

So 1 bill = 13.2 * 10^-6 trees

multiply that by 10 billion equals 132000 trees

turbo-1 said:
A US bill weighs about a gram so $1,000,000,000,000 in $100 notes would weigh 10,000,000,000 grams or 10,000,000 Kg. Hmm... 10 million kilos is a lot of trees.

For the record, though, US currency is printed on rag-stock, not paper and long-cotton fiber fabric is the preferred feed-stock. Think Fruit of the Loom undies and bleached denim waste from clothing manufacture. It appears that someone has been reading about the G20, the World Bank, and the IMF...

BTW, please ask your queen not to be so grabby as to put her arm around our First Lady. We have protocols to observe, you know. :tongue:

True the g20 set my mind agog, and made me wonder how long the dollar or pound or yen would be worth more than the raw material, i once had ten grand in twenty notes in my grubby paws and thought it was a kings Ransom.

wolram said:
True the g20 set my mind agog, and made me wonder how long the dollar or pound or yen would be worth more than the raw material, i once had ten grand in twenty notes in my grubby paws and thought it was a kings Ransom.

I'd gladly take it off your hands if you don't feel its worth having :)

Pengwuino said:
I'd gladly take it off your hands if you don't feel its worth having :)
Hello Pengwuino, nice to see you back, i would share to a good a good cause but not a Mr Burns.

So that means you better have a freight train, if you are demanding ransom of 1 trillion in small unmarked bills.

That could make getting away a little conspicuous.

You may enjoy this:

http://z.about.com/d/gonyc/1/0/C/I/gold09.jpg

http://www.newyorkfed.org/education/addpub/goldvaul.pdf

I hear Timothy Geithner used to sleep in the vault.

Last edited by a moderator:
signerror said:
You may enjoy this:

http://www.newyorkfed.org/education/addpub/goldvaul.pdf

I hear Timothy Geithner used to sleep in the vault.

They don't stack it very neatly, if it were up to me each bar would have a 2 mm gap, but i would rather sleep under a tree than in that sterile environment.

wolram said:
but i would rather sleep under a tree than in that sterile environment.

I was joking - just in case. :uhh: (Timothy Geithner is the U.S. Treasury Secretary, until recently director of the NY Federal Reserve, where the gold is.)

signerror said:
I was joking - just in case. :uhh: (Timothy Geithner is the U.S. Treasury Secretary, until recently director of the NY Federal Reserve, where the gold is.)
As was i, i am never serious in these matters, as long as i can keep warm and fed i care not.

signerror said:
[/URL]
Can you think of any other metal that is molded into ingots and stored away never to be used for anything whatever?

jimmysnyder said:
Can you think of any other metal that is molded into ingots and stored away never to be used for anything whatever?
I believe some platinum (and perhaps silver) is similarly treated. I think the point is to possesses it. :rolleyes:

jimmysnyder said:

Platinum? the only one i can think as a may be.

Sod it beaten by walks far man :biggrin:

wolram said:
So it should be called papyrus money, cotton money?

No, paper money is fine, for the word paper does not refer exclusively to products made from wood:

a felted sheet of usually vegetable fibers laid down on a fine screen from a water suspension (2): a similar sheet of other material (as plastic

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paper

Astronuc said:
I think the point is to possesses it.
To what end? For an individual, there may be some hope that eventually you can sell it to an even bigger idiot. But from society's point of view, what is the purpose of mining, smelting, molding and storing these dead weights? They're like black holes. So much goes into them and nothing comes out.

jimmysnyder said:
To what end? For an individual, there may be some hope that eventually you can sell it to an even bigger idiot. But from society's point of view, what is the purpose of mining, smelting, molding and storing these dead weights? They're like black holes. So much goes into them and nothing comes out.
A bird in the hand, . . . .

Actually, I find it quite silly. I personally think gold, diamonds and other bits of stuff are way over-valued. But then that's me.

One problem I see with accumulating great wealth is the fear of losing it. I don't see that wealthy people are proportionately happier. Rather, they seem disproportionately unhappy or ill at ease.

Astronuc said:

Actually, I find it quite silly. I personally think gold, diamonds and other bits of stuff are way over-valued. But then that's me.

One problem I see with accumulating great wealth is the fear of losing it. I don't see that wealthy people are proportionately happier. Rather, they seem disproportionately unhappy or ill at ease.
Now you're getting beyond me. I limit my comments to the metal, not the money that people are willing to part with to own the useless stuff. I wish I could afford that closet full of gold. I wouldn't buy it, I just wish I could afford it.

Astronuc said:

I agree. I started faceting gem-stones as a hobby, and only sold enough to the jewelry stores so that I could afford to continue to buy foreign rough. Actually, the most profitable stones that I cut and sold were Maine tourmalines that I mined in western Maine tailing dumps. They are in such demand as the Maine state stone that I could charge more for them than for many other nice stones. Those in the know can tell the difference between the soft pinks and subtle blue-greens originating from Newry and other premiere Maine sites. When I first offered to sell stones to a prominent local jeweler, I challenged the owner for featuring foreign stones in his displays, and he asked what I meant. I invited him out to the showcase and said "Afghanistan, Brazil, Brazil..." etc and pointed out the very few quality tourmalines that might actually have originated from mines on Plumbago or Mt. Mica. He invited me back to his office, examined my stones and bought every single tourmaline at my asking price. After that, when I needed to drum up a bit of cash to buy rough Tsavorite, Tanzanite, Sapphire, etc to build my stocks, I would cut up a suite of tourmalines. He never let me out of the store with a Maine tourmaline in my case.

Are faceted stones valuable? To me, the value was personal. I cut sapphires, spinels, Tanzanites, aquamarines, golden beryl, etc, etc, and when a female relative had an impending birthday, I'd often order an 18k gold mount from Stuller's and mount a stone and give it to them. They could pair the pendant up with any gold chain to have a nice piece of custom jewelry. To anybody thinking of "investing" in diamonds STOP! The prices are artificially set by deBeers. If you want investment grade stones, look for cabachon-style Burmese rubies and nice richly-colored sapphires (not the inky dull crap that gets sold on the US market) or perhaps some high-quality untreated emeralds. These stones are worth far more in the investment market than diamonds because they are very rare, and there are no entities that can flood the market and devalue your investments.

Ah this is an easy one! Two chicks at one time of course!

...Oh wait, the question wasn't, what you would do if you had 1 trillion dollars...?

my bad...

NBAJam100 said:
Ah this is an easy one! Two chicks at one time of course!

...Oh wait, the question wasn't, what you would do if you had 1 trillion dollars...?

my bad...
I you have no plans for the other $999,999,999,999,500 I volunteer to find some ways to "invest" it.

deBeers are a nasty group, i hope no one buys from them.

How many trees per square mile on an average forest?

I wonder what percentage of all trees that ever lived are alive today.

Approximately 384,000 trees per square mile
http://www.state.sc.us/forest/nurspa.htm

So a trillion dollars is approximately 1/3 square miles of trees. Except of course that dollar bills aren't made out of tree wood but cotton so...

zoobyshoe said:
Paper money is not made from trees:

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-3/Paper-Currency.html

Okay, time for a stupid question. What is linen if it's not cotton? I always thought linen was a particular weave of cotton fabric, but your source is distinguishing between cotton and linen, so linen must be something other than cotton?

Moonbear said:
Okay, time for a stupid question. What is linen if it's not cotton? I always thought linen was a particular weave of cotton fabric, but your source is distinguishing between cotton and linen, so linen must be something other than cotton?

Linen is flax. long fibers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax#Flax_fibres

1. How much would a trillion dollars weigh?

A trillion dollars would weigh approximately 2,204,622,621 pounds or 1,000,000,000,000 kilograms. This is equivalent to the weight of about 100,000 elephants or 1,000 blue whales.

2. How many trees would be needed to print a trillion dollars?

Assuming US dollar bills, which weigh about 1 gram each, a trillion dollars would require 1,000,000,000,000 grams of paper. This is equivalent to about 1,000,000 metric tons of paper. According to the US Forest Service, one tree can produce about 8,333 sheets of paper, so about 120,000 trees would be needed to print a trillion dollars.

3. How much space would a trillion dollars take up?

A stack of one trillion dollar bills would reach a height of about 67,866 miles. This is more than enough to reach the moon and back, which is approximately 477,800 miles away.

4. How long would it take to count a trillion dollars?

If you were to count one dollar per second, it would take you 31,709 years to count to one trillion. This is longer than recorded human history, which dates back to about 5,000 years.

5. How much money is a trillion dollars?

A trillion dollars is an incredibly large amount of money. To put it into perspective, if you were to spend one million dollars every day, it would take you almost 3,000 years to spend one trillion dollars. It is also more than the GDP of many countries, including Australia, Spain, and Canada.