What is the Directional Derivative of f(x,y,z) at Point P?

In summary: That is correct. And the rate of increase in that direction is still the length of the gradient.In summary, to find the unit vector in the direction of the maximum increase of the function f(x,y,z) = (x-3y+4z)^1/2 at P(0,-3,0), we calculate the gradient of the function and divide it by its magnitude. This gives us the unit vector < 1/6 , -1/2, 2/3 >. The rate of increase in this direction is equal to the length of the gradient, which is sqrt(26)/6.
brendan

Homework Statement

Find a unit vector in the direction in which f(x,y,z) = (x-3y+4z)1/2 increases most rapidly at P(0,-3,0), and find the rate of increase of f in that direction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the unit vector to be <0,-1,0>

and the gradient to be <1/6,-1/2,2/3>

To find the directional derivative we find the dot product of <0,-1,0> . <1/6,-1/2,2/3> = 1/2
Do I than multiply that by cos(0)?

regards
Brendan

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you calculate that unit vector?
And what does it matter whether you multiply by cos(0)?

cos(0) is just 1...

brendan said:

Homework Statement

Find a unit vector in the direction in which f(x,y,z) = (x-3y+4z)1/2 increases most rapidly at P(0,-3,0), and find the rate of increase of f in that direction

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the unit vector to be <0,-1,0>
No. That is the unit vector in the direction from (0,0,0) to (0,-3,0). You are asked for the unit vector in the direction in which f(x,y,z) increases most rapidly. A function increases most rapidly in the direction of its gradient vector.

and the gradient to be <1/6,-1/2,2/3>
That is correct. What is a unit vector in that direction?

To find the directional derivative we find the dot product of <0,-1,0> . <1/6,-1/2,2/3> = 1/2
Do I than multiply that by cos(0)?

regards
Brendan[/QUOTE]
Again, <0, -1, 0> is the wrong vector. The rate of increase in the direction of the gradient vector is just the dot product of the unit vector in that direction with the gradient vector and is just the length of the gradient vector.

So If I use the gradient <1/6 ,-1/2 ,2/3> and find its unit vector which is

<sqrt(26)/936, -sqrt(26)/312, sqrt(26)/234 >

than find the dot product of them both <1/6 ,-1/2 ,2/3> . <sqrt(26)/936, -sqrt(26)/312, sqrt(26)/234 >

which is sqrt(26)/6 the magnitude of the gradient vector?

regards
Brendan

brendan said:
So If I use the gradient <1/6 ,-1/2 ,2/3> and find its unit vector which is

<sqrt(26)/936, -sqrt(26)/312, sqrt(26)/234 >
No, that's not at all right. Did you divide by the length or multiply? 1/36+ 1/4+ 4/9= 1/36+ 9/36+ 15/36= 26/36. The length of the gradient is [itex]\sqrt{26}/6[/itex]. Dividing by that will put the square root in the denominator.

than find the dot product of them both <1/6 ,-1/2 ,2/3> . <sqrt(26)/936, -sqrt(26)/312, sqrt(26)/234 >

which is sqrt(26)/6 the magnitude of the gradient vector?
Of course, that is wrong now, but in any case you did not need to do that product. If [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] is a vector of length [itex]||\vec{v}||[/itex], then the unit vector in that direction, [itex]\vec{u}[/itex], is [itex]\vec{v}/||/vec{v}||[/itex] and the inner product of the two vectors is [itex]\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}/||\vec{v}}||= ||\vec{v}||^2/||\vec{v}||= ||\vec{v}||[/itex]. The derivative in the direction of the gradient is, as I said before, the length of the gradient.

regards
Brendan

Sorry,
the unit vector would be < 1/6 , -1/2 , 2/3 > / < sqrt(26)/6 , sqrt(26)/6 , sqrt(26)/6 >
regards
Brendan

What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in a specific direction. It represents the rate of change of a function at a given point in the direction of the unit vector.

How is a directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated using the dot product of the gradient of the function and the unit vector in the desired direction.

What is the significance of directional derivatives?

Directional derivatives are important in multivariate calculus as they help us understand how a function changes in different directions. They are also used in optimization and vector calculus.

Can a directional derivative be negative?

Yes, a directional derivative can be negative. It simply means that the function is decreasing in the direction of the unit vector.

How are directional derivatives used in real life?

Directional derivatives have various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to analyze the rate of change of physical quantities, optimize processes, and model real-world phenomena.