Solving Fluid Mechanics Question: Radial Gate Forces and Direction

In summary, the Radial gate has a radius of 6 meters, a length of 8 meters, and can rotate about a hinge. The force on the hinge is the sum of the vertical and horizontal forces. The resultant force is directed at zero degrees.
AshNZ
Hey guys,

I'm new here. I've been following PF on and off to get some hints in past but this is the first time I'm posting. I'm doing civil engineering second year and the following is an assignment question (there are total of four questions and I'm stuck on all four :( ). I'm not looking for direct answers but any hints would be great.

Q: Radial gate has a radius of 6m. It has length of 8m and can rotate about a hinge. What's total force on the hinge and its direction?The book I usually refer to uses the following procedure:
First they find Fh using rho*g*h
Then they find Fv using rho*g*V where V is the volume of water above the surface of the surface of the gate. And then they go on to some other formulas but I'm stuck at this point because in this particular question there is no water above the surface of the gate, which makes Fv = 0 (which inevitably leads to resultant force's direction of zero degrees in later stages)

I could be knocking on the door of the answer or I could be in the other city. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show a picture?

There isn't a lot in the picture but here we go..

Attachments

• FluidMechQuestion.jpg
    FluidMechQuestion.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 406
I've cracked this question. There was a similar question in past years exam papers and luckily I had the solution for that paper.

I am assuming for anyone in the future searching for this thread...

You break the load into two components, one horizontal, and one vertical. You then integrate the pressure [tex] \rho g h[/tex] along with the equation for a circle to get the total load in each direction?

Yes, you break it down to horz and vertical. Then find horizontal by rho*g*h*A(projected area). Then you find vertical using )(pi*r^2L)/4)*rho*g. Then use trig to find resultant and the angle.

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and the forces that act on them.

What are the main properties of fluids?

The main properties of fluids are density, viscosity, and pressure. Density refers to how compact or spread out the particles of a fluid are. Viscosity is a measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. Pressure is the force per unit area that a fluid exerts on its surroundings.

What is the difference between a liquid and a gas in terms of fluid mechanics?

The main difference between a liquid and a gas is their compressibility. Liquids are considered incompressible, meaning their volume does not change significantly under pressure. Gases, on the other hand, are compressible and their volume can change significantly under pressure.

How is Bernoulli's principle related to fluid mechanics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases. This principle is important in fluid mechanics as it helps explain the lift force on an airplane wing and the flow of fluids through pipes and nozzles.

What are some real-life applications of fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics has many real-life applications, including aircraft design, hydraulic systems, weather forecasting, and blood flow in the human body. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical processing, and water treatment.