Inelastic collision, kinetic energy

In summary, a bullet of mass 10 g strikes a ballistic pendulum of mass 2.0 kg and the center of mass of the pendulum rises a vertical distance of 12 cm. Conservation of linear momentum and energy must be applied to solve for the bullet's initial speed, which is calculated to be 307.5 m/s.
lemonpie

Homework Statement

A bullet of mass 10 g strikes a ballistic pendulum of mass 2.0 kg. The center of mass of the pendulum rises a vertical distance of 12 cm. Assuming that the bullet remains embedded in the pendulum, calculate the bullet's initial speed.

Homework Equations

p = mv, pi = pf, KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf

The Attempt at a Solution

m1 = 10 g = 0.01 kg, m2 = 2 kg, total mass M = 2.01 kg, h = 12 cm = 0.12 m

p1 = m1v1 = 0.01v1
p2 = Mv2 = 2.01v2

conservation of linear momentum pi = pf: 0.01v1 = 2.01v2

i would never have figured out how to use this otherwise -- i just don't know how people figure out to use equations from previous chapters (if someone has advice, please tell me), but apparently i apply conservation of mechanical energy:

KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf
0.5(2.01)vf^2 + 0 = 0 = (2.01)(9.8)(0.12)
1.005vf^2 = 2.36
vf = 1.53 m/s

pi = pf = 0.01v1 = 2.01v2
v1i = 201vf
v1i = 201(1.53) = 307.5 m/s

this is the correct answer, but i don't understand how to arrive at it. the part written in red is what confuses me. i would think initial KE means to use only the mass of the bullet, not the total, and also that when we figured out the velocity there, that would be the INITIAL velocity of the bullet, not the final velocity of bullet and pendulum.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you apply the total energy conservation, you need to apply it on the total system : bullet + pendulum before and after impact, so :

1/2(m1+m2)v^2 - 0 = change in E_pot

The v is the velocity of the total system acquired because of the impact of the bullet. I wrote 0 because the final velocity of the total system is 0 (when the potential energy is at maximal value).

The fact that you need to work with the total system is also reflected in the fact that the center of mass is used to calculate the change in E_pot
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conservation of linear momentum is applied on all objects individually before and after impact, so :

P_bullet + P_pendulum = P_(bullet+pendulum) ; where p_pendulum = 0 before impact.

marlon

Last edited:
lemonpie said:
this is the correct answer, but i don't understand how to arrive at it. the part written in red is what confuses me. i would think initial KE means to use only the mass of the bullet, not the total, and also that when we figured out the velocity there, that would be the INITIAL velocity of the bullet, not the final velocity of bullet and pendulum.
Realize that there are two "parts" to this problem:
(1) The collision itself. Momentum is conserved; energy is not. Vf refers to the speed of the system immediately after the collision.
(2) The rising of the pendulum that takes place after the collision. Here's where energy is conserved. The "initial" KE here means the KE at the start of the rising of the pendulum, just after the collision (speed = Vf). It does not mean the initial KE of the bullet before the collision (speed = Vi).

thanks. i realize now that i should have not assumed that energy would be conserved during the collision, since the two bodies stuck together. that helped me with the rest of the problem.

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before the collision is not equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is transformed into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

2. How is kinetic energy related to inelastic collisions?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In inelastic collisions, the kinetic energy of the system is not conserved, meaning it changes before and after the collision. The amount of kinetic energy lost or gained in an inelastic collision can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is the difference between an inelastic collision and an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is conserved, meaning the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision. In an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved, and some of the kinetic energy is transformed into other forms of energy.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy lost in an inelastic collision?

The amount of kinetic energy lost in an inelastic collision depends on the properties of the objects involved, such as their masses and velocities, as well as the nature of the collision, such as the materials of the objects and the angle of impact. The less elastic the objects are, the more kinetic energy will be lost in the collision.

5. Can kinetic energy be gained in an inelastic collision?

Yes, kinetic energy can be gained in an inelastic collision if there is an external force acting on the objects involved. This external force can increase the total kinetic energy of the system, even though some of the kinetic energy may be lost in the collision. However, the total kinetic energy of the system will still not be conserved, as some of it will be converted into other forms of energy.