Calculating Changes in Enthalpy and Entropy for Isobaric Gas Expansion

In summary: Process a to b is a quasistatic isobaric expansion to twice the intial volume.TheAttempt at a Solution states that Q = CPdT, so \Delta S_P= \int_{T_i}^{T_f} \frac{C_P}{T}\mathrm{d}T.
Trenthan

Homework Statement

Gas has a heat capacity of (Cv = (3/2)nR), intial temp of To, pressure Po and volume Vo.

Process a to b is a quasistatic isobaric expansion to twice the intial volume

Find
a) work done,
b) heat transfer,
c) change in internal energy,
d) change in enthalpy
e) change in entropy
In terms of n(moles), R, T0

Homework Equations

W = -P(delta)V
(delta)U = Q + W = (f/2)nR(delta)T
PV = nrT
H = U + PV

The Attempt at a Solution

Now this is what I've come up with but I am unsure about enthalpy and entropy (this mostly), they seem ok but look wrong. I don't have any answer or similar questions to check it againt first and only isobaric cycle. Looking on the net I've found mostly constant U, while V changes which isn't helpful.

Attached is my attemp if any1 can shine any light on the last two points or anything else

Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

Thanks Trent

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought the formula was
[tex]\Delta S = \int_{T_i}^{T_f} \frac{C_V}{T}\mathrm{d}T[/tex]
but anyway, you seem to have the right idea with the calculations. :-)

diazona said:
I thought the formula was
[tex]\Delta S = \int_{T_i}^{T_f} \frac{C_V}{T}\mathrm{d}T[/tex]
but anyway, you seem to have the right idea with the calculations. :-)

Im basing this [tex]\Delta S = \int_{T_i}^{T_f} \frac{C_P}{T}\mathrm{d}T[/tex], from this

"When T is changing, it's usually more convenient to write the relation in terms of the heat capacipty at constant volume: dS = (CVdT)/T."

Now we don't have constant volume so I've discarded that

Over the page than it says,
"constant pressure processes in which the temperature changes, we can write Q = CPdT, than integrate to obtain,

[tex]\Delta S_P= \int_{T_i}^{T_f} \frac{C_P}{T}\mathrm{d}T[/tex]

This correct or i may have read misunderstood something, i agree it should be CV rather than CP, but from my understanding that's for constant volume??

If any1 can shine some light thanks heeps

Cheers Trent

Last edited:

What is thermal entropy?

Thermal entropy is a measure of the amount of thermal energy in a system that is not available to do work. It is a measure of the disorder or randomness of the system at a microscopic level.

How does thermal entropy relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. This means that as energy is transferred or transformed within a system, the amount of thermal entropy will always increase.

What is the difference between thermal entropy and enthalpy?

Thermal entropy and enthalpy are both measures of energy in a system, but they represent different types of energy. Thermal entropy is a measure of the disorder of a system, while enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both its potential and kinetic energy.

How is thermal entropy calculated?

The thermal entropy of a system can be calculated using the equation S = k ln(W), where S is the thermal entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates that a system can occupy at a given energy level.

How does thermal entropy impact real-world systems?

In real-world systems, thermal entropy plays an important role in processes such as heat transfer, chemical reactions, and energy conversion. The increase in thermal entropy over time leads to the dissipation of energy and the eventual equilibrium of a system.