Rotation, angular momentum and inertia

In summary, the rotor of an electric motor with Im[SUB]= 2 x 10^-3 Kg.m^2 about its central axis is used to change the orientation of a space probe (with I[SUB]p= 12 Kg.m^2) by rotating it through 30 degrees. Using conservation of angular momentum, the number of rotations required to achieve this is 498.
aks_sky
The rotor of an electric motor has Im= 2 x 10 -3 Kg.m2
about its central axis. The motor is used to change the orientation of a space probe in which it is mounted. If the axis of the motor is mounted parallel to the axis of the probe (Ip= 12 Kg.m^2) calculate the number of rotations required to turn the probe through 30 degrees about its axis.

** I have tried the formula for anuglar momentum and torque here also i have tried to find the ratio between the two bodies but i do not get the correct answer. The answer should be 498 revs but i don't get it right. What else can i try?

Physics news on Phys.org
aks_sky said:
The rotor of an electric motor has Im= 2 x 10 -3 Kg.m2
about its central axis. The motor is used to change the orientation of a space probe in which it is mounted. If the axis of the motor is mounted parallel to the axis of the probe (Ip= 12 Kg.m^2) calculate the number of rotations required to turn the probe through 30 degrees about its axis.

** I have tried the formula for anuglar momentum and torque here also i have tried to find the ratio between the two bodies but i do not get the correct answer. The answer should be 498 revs but i don't get it right. What else can i try?

Hi aks_sky! :smile:

Just use conservation of angular momentum …

it starts zero, so it stays zero! :wink:

(and remember 30º = 1/12 of a revolution)

sweet.. all sorted.. thank u

1. What is rotation?

Rotation is a physical movement or motion in which an object or body turns around an axis.

2. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is the measure of an object's tendency to keep rotating around an axis. It is a vector quantity that depends on the mass, velocity, and distance of the rotating object from the axis.

3. How is angular momentum related to rotation?

Angular momentum is directly related to an object's rotation. As the speed of rotation increases, so does the angular momentum. Similarly, as the distance from the axis of rotation increases, so does the angular momentum.

4. What is inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion. In rotational motion, it refers to an object's resistance to change its speed of rotation or direction of rotation.

5. How does mass affect inertia in rotational motion?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia in rotational motion. This means that a more massive object will be harder to start rotating and harder to stop rotating compared to a less massive object.