Speed of car with changing mass problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a freight car starts from rest and sand begins to run into it at a steady rate. The objective is to find the speed of the car when a certain amount of sand has been transferred. Through a series of calculations, the correct formula for the velocity is determined to be v = (F/b)*ln((M + bt)/M).
bodensee9
Hello:

An empty freight car of mass M starts from rest under an applied force F. At the same time, sand begins to run into the car at steady rate b from a hopper at rest along the track. Find speed when mass of sand m has been transferred.

I have attached a drawing.

So would this be: Let M(t) = mass as a function of time. So we have
M(t) = M + bt
And we have F = M(t)(dv/dt)
So F(dt) = M(t)dv
or dv = F(dt)/(M + bt)
So wouldn't we have
v = F/b*ln(M + bt)?
But somehow this is wrong?
Thanks.

Attachments

• hopper.pdf
    15.4 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it right up to dv = F(dt)/(M + bt)

By doing a substitution of "M + bt" and then integrating accordingly, you should get

v = (F/b)*ln((M + bt)/M)

I think all that you did wrong was that you forgot to solve for the "t = 0" end of the integral.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing the problem with me. I understand your approach to the problem and it seems like you have the right idea. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified and corrected in your solution.

Firstly, the equation F = M(t)(dv/dt) is not correct. The correct equation should be F = (M + m)(dv/dt), where m is the mass of the sand that has been transferred into the car at time t. This is because the total mass of the car at any given time is not just M, but also includes the mass of the sand that has been added.

Secondly, when you integrate both sides of the equation dv = F(dt)/(M + bt), you should not include the constant of integration. This is because the initial condition is given as the car starting from rest, so the constant of integration would be 0.

Finally, the correct solution would be v = (F/b)(ln(M+m) - ln(M)). This can be simplified to v = (F/b)ln((M+m)/M).

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck!

1. What is the speed of a car with changing mass?

The speed of a car with changing mass is determined by the acceleration of the car and the change in mass. The formula for this is v = u + (F/m)t, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, F is the force applied, m is the mass, and t is the time.

2. How does changing mass affect the speed of a car?

Changing mass affects the speed of a car because it alters the force needed to accelerate the car. The greater the mass of the car, the more force is required to achieve the same acceleration. This means that a car with a changing mass will have a different speed compared to a car with a constant mass.

3. Can the speed of a car change with a constant mass?

Yes, the speed of a car can change with a constant mass. This can happen if there is a change in the force applied to the car, such as when the car is going uphill or downhill, or when there is a change in the air resistance acting on the car.

4. How does air resistance affect the speed of a car with changing mass?

Air resistance can greatly affect the speed of a car with changing mass. This is because as the mass of the car changes, the amount of force needed to overcome air resistance also changes. For example, a lighter car will experience less air resistance compared to a heavier car, allowing it to achieve a higher speed.

5. What other factors can affect the speed of a car with changing mass?

Aside from air resistance, other factors that can affect the speed of a car with changing mass include the slope of the road, the type and condition of the tires, and the overall design and aerodynamics of the car. External forces such as wind and friction can also play a role in determining the speed of a car.