Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device

In summary: Berkeman:The vehicle rolls, so it is a good idea. However, the vehicle travels a complicated path through holes and over rocks etc, so the continuous computation might be tricky?If this thing doesn't have to travel for really long distances, could you lay an RF transmitting cable along the path above ground at a known altitude and take readings from it?
Eng_Student
Hi Guys

I am new engineering and would appreciate any advice or ideas on this project. I need to measure the height above sea level of a small vehicle that I am building..
My first idea was GPS, but the vehicle is going travel under a thick steel structure, so it will not work.
I thought about a pitot tube but there are many random gusts of wind, so the readings may be compromised. I need an accuracy of about 10mm.

Any input will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're going to find this to be a pretty tall order - neither GPS nor an altimeter would give you that kind of accuracy anyway.

Thanks for your reply Russ.
A relative altitude would also do fine.

A static pressure port connected to a large plenum should do the trick.

Eng_Student said:
Hi Guys

I am new engineering and would appreciate any advice or ideas on this project. I need to measure the height above sea level of a small vehicle that I am building..
My first idea was GPS, but the vehicle is going travel under a thick steel structure, so it will not work.
I thought about a pitot tube but there are many random gusts of wind, so the readings may be compromised. I need an accuracy of about 10mm.

Any input will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Does this vehicle fly or roll? If it rolls, can you use an inclinometer and distance traveled to give you elevation change information?

Thanks for your responses guys, I will be looking into them!

Berkeman: the vehicle rolls, so it is a good idea. However, the vehicle travels a complicated path through holes and over rocks etc, so the continuous computation might be tricky?

If this thing doesn't have to travel for really long distances, could you lay an RF transmitting cable along the path above ground at a known altitude and take readings from it?

Eng_Student said:
Thanks for your responses guys, I will be looking into them!

Berkeman: the vehicle rolls, so it is a good idea. However, the vehicle travels a complicated path through holes and over rocks etc, so the continuous computation might be tricky?

Not if you have a good inclinometer and don't lose traction at the wheels.

If you're flying under a steel structure, that tells me you're not very far off the ground- could you use some sort of laser rangefinding to the ground or structure above?

What is an "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device"?

An "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device" is a scientific instrument used to measure the vertical distance between a specific location and sea level. It is also known as a barometer or altimeter.

How does an "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device" work?

An "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device" works by measuring air pressure. As elevation increases, the air pressure decreases. The device uses this change in air pressure to calculate the height above sea level.

What is the accuracy of an "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device"?

The accuracy of an "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device" can vary depending on the type of device and its calibration. Generally, a barometer can measure within 0.2% of the true altitude, while an altimeter can measure within 3-5% of the true altitude.

What are some common uses of an "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device"?

An "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device" is commonly used in aviation, mountaineering, and other outdoor activities to determine altitude and track changes in elevation. It is also used in meteorology for weather forecasting.

Are there any limitations to using an "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device"?

Yes, there are limitations to using an "Accurate Height(above sea level) Measurement Device". It may not work accurately in extreme weather conditions or at very high altitudes. Additionally, the device may need to be calibrated regularly to maintain its accuracy.