Calculating pipe size for closed loop watering system

In summary, the speaker is planning to build a closed loop watering system and is seeking assistance in determining the minimum size drain pipe required for the return drain pipe. The system will pump 300 gallons per hour from a reservoir through spray nozzles into 4 containers, with each container having a drain pipe at the bottom connecting to a central pipe. The water will then be returned to the main reservoir via gravity with a drop of 4 inches. The speaker's question is whether the 300 gallons per hour is spread out among all four containers or if each container receives 300 gallons per hour.
Ice_ca
I am building a closed loop watering system and need help determining the minimum size pipe I need for the return drain pipe. The system will pump water from a reservoir through spray nozzles into 4 containers at a rate of 300 gallons per hour. Each container will have a drain pipe in the bottom connecting to a central pipe which will feed the water back to the main reservoir via gravity with a drop of 4 inches.

My question is "What is the minimum size drain pipe I require to ensure that all the water is being returned to the reservoir?"

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it pumping at 300 gallons/hour for each container, or is the 300 gallons/hour spread out into all four containers?

cipher42 said:
Is it pumping at 300 gallons/hour for each container, or is the 300 gallons/hour spread out into all four containers?

Sorry, yes the 300 gal/hr is spread over the 4 containers.

1. How do I determine the flow rate for my closed loop watering system?

The flow rate for a closed loop watering system is determined by the number of outlets and the desired water pressure. To calculate the flow rate, multiply the number of outlets by the desired water pressure (in pounds per square inch) and divide by the water pressure loss per foot of pipe. This will give you the needed flow rate in gallons per minute.

2. What is the minimum pipe size required for a closed loop watering system?

The minimum pipe size required for a closed loop watering system depends on the flow rate and the distance between the water source and the farthest outlet. Generally, a 1-inch pipe is recommended for flow rates of up to 20 gallons per minute and distances of up to 100 feet. For higher flow rates or longer distances, a larger pipe diameter may be necessary.

3. How do I calculate the water pressure loss in my closed loop watering system?

The water pressure loss in a closed loop watering system is affected by the length of the pipe, the diameter of the pipe, and the flow rate. To calculate the pressure loss, use the Darcy-Weisbach equation: ΔP = 0.002083 x L x (Q/C)^2 x (D^-4.87), where ΔP is the pressure loss (in pounds per square inch), L is the length of the pipe (in feet), Q is the flow rate (in gallons per minute), C is the pipe roughness coefficient, and D is the pipe diameter (in inches).

4. How do I determine the number of outlets for my closed loop watering system?

The number of outlets needed for a closed loop watering system depends on the size of the area you want to water and the type of plants you will be watering. A general rule of thumb is to have one outlet for every 100 square feet of area. However, for areas with dense vegetation or high water requirements, more outlets may be necessary.

5. What is the recommended pipe material for a closed loop watering system?

The recommended pipe material for a closed loop watering system is polyethylene (PE) or PVC. These materials are durable, cost-effective, and resistant to corrosion and clogging. It is important to use pipes that are specifically designed for use in irrigation systems and to avoid using pipes that are not rated for underground use.