Switch From Double to Single Spacing in Latex

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of changing spacing in a thesis document. The person writing the thesis is using the article document class and needs to make certain paragraphs single spaced while keeping the rest of the document double spaced. A suggestion is made to use the SingleSpace environment in the memoir class, but since it is not defined in the article class, the person figures out a solution by placing the \singlespacing control sequence before the intended paragraph and using \doublespacing for the rest of the document. It is mentioned that the \singlespacing command is part of the setspace package and a sample code is provided.
EngWiPy
Hello,

In writting my thesis, I set the spacing to be double spacing, complying the requirements. But in some paragraphs, I need to make the spacing single spacing, as in the abstract. When I write \singlespacing control sequence just before the intended paragrah, it shows no affect. How to make this command affect a specific paragrah only, without affecting the entire page layout.

Thanks in advance.

Regard

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're using the memoir document class, there's an environenent called SingleSpace that does just that

Code:
This text is default spacing.

\begin{SingleSpace}

This text is forced singlespace.

\end{SingleSpace}

This text is back to default spacing.

Fenn said:
If you're using the memoir document class, there's an environenent called SingleSpace that does just that

Code:
This text is default spacing.

\begin{SingleSpace}

This text is forced singlespace.

\end{SingleSpace}

This text is back to default spacing.

Actually, I am using the article class, and the environment you mentioned is not defined in it. Anyway, I solved the problem by placing \singlespacing control sequence just before the intented paragrah, and then place \doublespacing for the rest to be double spaced. In the begining, I wrote
Code:
{\singlespacing Text}
and it didn't work. But when I removed the burely braces, it works just fine.

Thanks Fenn

Regards

Just a quick follow-up on this. The command \singlespacing is part of the setspace package. I have found myself trying to do this exact same thing using the article document class, and had to mix up line spacing throughout the document.

This may not be the most elegant or correct, but it does what I want.

Code:
\documentclass{article}

%set to doublespaced by default
\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1.9}

\usepackage{setspace}

\begin{document}

this is double spaced by default\\

\singlespacing

this is now single spaced\\
this is now single spaced\\
this is\ldots well you get the idea.

\end{document}

s,

I understand the importance of proper formatting in academic writing. In order to switch from double to single spacing in LaTeX, you can use the \singlespacing control sequence before the intended paragraph, as you have already tried. However, this command will affect the entire page layout if it is placed before the document begins. To make this command affect a specific paragraph only, you can use the \begin{singlespace} and \end{singlespace} commands around the paragraph you want to have single spacing. This will ensure that only that specific paragraph is affected and the rest of the document remains in double spacing. I hope this helps in achieving the desired formatting for your thesis. Best of luck with your writing.

1. How do I switch from double to single spacing in LaTeX?

To switch from double to single spacing in LaTeX, you can use the command \singlespacing before the text you want to be single spaced. Alternatively, you can use the package setspace and the command \setstretch{1} to set the spacing to 1, which is equivalent to single spacing.

2. Can I switch back to double spacing after using single spacing in LaTeX?

Yes, you can switch back to double spacing by using the command \doublespacing or by setting the spacing to 2 using \setstretch{2} if you are using the setspace package. It is important to note that these commands will only affect the text that follows, so you may need to use them multiple times throughout your document if you want to switch back and forth between single and double spacing.

3. How can I change the spacing for specific parts of my document in LaTeX?

In LaTeX, you can change the spacing for specific parts of your document by using the commands \begin{spacing}{value} and \end{spacing}. Replace value with the desired spacing value, such as 1 for single spacing or 2 for double spacing. This will only affect the text within the spacing environment, allowing you to have different spacing for different parts of your document.

4. Why is it recommended to use single spacing in certain academic writing?

In academic writing, it is generally recommended to use single spacing to save space and make the document more visually appealing. Single spacing also makes it easier for readers to follow the flow of the text, as there is less space between lines. However, it is important to check with your instructor or institution for specific formatting guidelines, as some may require double spacing for certain types of documents.

5. Can I change the default line spacing in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the default line spacing in LaTeX by using the setspace package and the command \setstretch{value}. This will set the default spacing for your entire document. It is recommended to do this in the preamble of your document, before \begin{document}, to ensure that it applies to all text in your document.