Expansion of power series

In summary, the conversation is about how to expand power series, specifically finding the power series expansion of Log z about the point z= i - 2 and expanding the function 1/(z^2 + 1) about infinity. The expert suggests using the same method as for real numbers for the first question and expressing the function as a geometric series for the second question. They also mention being careful with algebra and offer to provide a step-by-step explanation. The conversation ends with a thank you from the person seeking help.
caramello
Hi,

I have 2 questions regarding how to expand power series.

1). Find the power series expansion of Log z about the point z= i - 2

2). Expand the function 1/(z^2 + 1) in power series about infinity

Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is because I am totally unsure about what to do when they asked for an expansion of complex function or power series. And if possible, can you show me a somewhat detailed step by step explanation? I'm really sorry for the trouble. This is because I'm really clueless on how to even start.

Thank you so much:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do it the same way as you would if z wasn't complex. Just watch your algebra with regards to any simplifications you might make.

For the second one, write 1/(z^2+ 1) as
[tex]\frac{1}{1- (iz)^2}[/tex]
and express it as a geometric series.

HallsofIvy said:
For the second one, write 1/(z^2+ 1) as
[tex]\frac{1}{1- (iz)^2}[/tex]
and express it as a geometric series.

I would do that to expand at zero. But at infinity, probably I would do
[tex]\frac{1}{z^2+ 1} = \frac{1}{z^2}\left(\frac{1}{1+(1/z^2)}\right)[/tex],
then expand as a geometric series.

g_edgar said:
I would do that to expand at zero. But at infinity, probably I would do
[tex]\frac{1}{z^2+ 1} = \frac{1}{z^2}\left(\frac{1}{1+(1/z^2)}\right)[/tex],
then expand as a geometric series.
Absolutely right. I did not see that "about infinity". Thanks.

thank you so much for all of your help! :) i really appreciate that..

Does anyone of you know how to do number 1 though?

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0 an(x-a)n, where a is a constant and the coefficients an are constants as well. It is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms, each with increasing powers of x.

What is the purpose of expanding a power series?

The expansion of a power series allows us to approximate a given function in terms of a simpler polynomial function. This can be useful in solving equations, evaluating integrals, and performing other mathematical operations.

What is the general method for expanding a power series?

The general method for expanding a power series involves finding the coefficients an in the series by differentiating the function and plugging in values of x to solve for the coefficients. This process can be repeated to find as many terms in the series as needed.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent power series?

A convergent power series is one that approaches a finite value as the number of terms in the series increases, while a divergent power series does not have a finite limit and either grows without bound or alternates between positive and negative values. It is important to determine whether a power series is convergent or divergent in order to use it for approximations or other calculations.

What are some applications of power series?

Power series have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve differential equations, evaluate integrals, approximate functions, and analyze the behavior of physical systems. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and computer graphics.