Find the equation of the circle

• Thread starter anil kumar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the equation of a circle is typically written as (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the center of the circle and r is the radius. To find the equation of a circle, you need to know the center point and the radius and plug them into the standard equation. The standard form of the equation of a circle is (x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = r^2. It is not possible to find the equation of a circle without knowing the center and radius. The equation of a circle describes the relationship between the x and y coordinates of all points on the circle and when graphed, creates a circle with the
anil kumar
A circle touches the line 2x + 3y +1 = 0 at the pt. (1,-1) and is orthogonal
to the circle whose one pair of diametrically opposite end pts. are (3,0) and
(1,-3).Find the equation of the circle.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You know the diameter of the second circle is [itex]\sqrt{(3-1)^2 + [0 - (-3)]^2} = \sqrt{13}[/itex]. Therefore, the radius, [itex]r = \sqrt{13}/2[/itex], and [itex]r^2 = 13/4[/itex]

Now the second circle can be represented by the equation:

[tex](x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2[/tex]

[tex](x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

You can make two equations with two unknowns, and solve for a and b:

[tex](1):\ \ (3-a)^2 + b^2 = 13/4[/tex]

[tex](2):\ \ (1-a)^2 + (3+b)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

[tex]a = 2,\ b = -1.5[/tex]

This should help you get started.

Attachments

• circles.JPG
    circles.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 420
Now, let (m,n) be the center of the circle we are solving for. We know:

[tex](1-m)^2 + (1+n)^2 = R^2[/tex]

where R is the radius of the circle we're solving for. We also know that there must be points on the other circle, [itex](x_1,y_1)[/itex] and [itex](x_2,y_2)[/tex] such that:

[tex](x_1 - 2,y_1 + 1.5) \cdot (x_1 - m, y_1 - n) = 0[/tex]

[tex](x_2 - 2,y_2 + 1.5) \cdot (x_2 - m, y_2 - n) = 0[/tex]

We also have:

[tex](x_1 - 2)^2 + (y_1 + 1.5)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

[tex](x_2 - 2)^2 + (y_2 + 1.5)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{1-m}{-1-n} = 3/2[/tex]

and:

[tex](x_1-m)^2 + (y_1-n)^2 = R^2[/tex]

[tex](x_2-m)^2 + (y_2-n)^2 = R^2[/tex]

8 equations, 7 unknowns. Looks ugly, but possible.

Okay, perhaps someone can explain to me why this approach didn't work.

I started out with the three pieces of information that we have to begin with:

1) The equation of the circle is [tex](x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

2) The equation of the tangent line is [tex]2x + 3x + 1 = 0[/tex]

3) The line is tangent to the circle at the point [tex](1,-1)[/tex]

In other words, [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] at [tex](1,-1)[/tex] is [tex]-2/3[/tex]

So I differentiated the equation of the circle to obtain the equation for [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x - a)^2 + \frac{d}{dx}(y - b)^2 = \frac{d}{dx}13/4[/tex]

If [tex]u = x - a[/tex] and [tex]v = y - b[/tex],

then [tex]u\prime = 1[/tex] and [tex]v\prime = 1[/tex]

I rewrote the equation as

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}u^2 + \frac{d}{dx}v^2 = \frac{d}{dx}13/4[/tex]

[tex]2uu\prime + 2vv\prime = 0[/tex]

[tex]2(x - a) + 2(y - b)\frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex]

Solving for [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex], I got

[tex]2(y - b)\frac{dy}{dx} = -2(x - a)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-2(x - a)}{2(y - b)} = -\frac{(x - a)}{(y - b)}[/tex]

I then substituted in the known values for [tex](x,y)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex],

[tex](1,-1)[/tex] and [tex]-2/3[/tex]

[tex]-2/3 = -\frac{(1 - a)}{(1 - b)}[/tex]

The negatives cancel and we get

[tex]1 - a = 2[/tex] and [tex]-1 - b = 3[/tex]

[tex]a = -1[/tex] and [tex]b = -4[/tex]

Substituting these values back into the equation of the circle, we get

[tex](x + 1)^2 + (y + 4)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

Now this equation is not correct, as it never touches the point [itex](1,-1)[/itex]. I'm sure I'm overlooking something very simple, but it's 1:30 AM here and I'm really tired. Can someone help me out?

Last edited:
Yes, you are overlooking something very simple: the circle we're asked to find doesn't (necessarily) have a radius of sqrt(13/4).

The circle with "diametrically opposite end pts. (3,0) and (1,-3)" has a radius of sqrt(13/4). Its equation is easy to find, since you know two points on it. AKG did it in his first post. This circle is not a tangent to 2x + 3y + 1 = 0.

What we're looking for is a totally different circle (that IS a tangent to 2x + 3y + 1 = 0). The only connection this new circle has with the old circle, is that they are orthogonal to each other.

*edit* That's not to say that you can't find a circle with a radius of sqrt(13/4) that is tangent to 2x + 3y + 1 = 0 at (1, -1). Let the circle's equation be (x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = 13/4. Work out its intersection with the tangent line. The discriminant must be zero. You now have an equation relating a and b. But since you also know that (1, -1) must lie on the circle, you have another equation with a and b. Two equations, two variables, should be solvable. In fact, if you slog through the calculations (or enlist a computer to do it for you ;)), you'll find that the equation is x^2 + (y + 5/2)^2 = 13/4 or (x - 2)^2 + (y - 1/2)^2 = 13/4.

You can apply the same technique (letting the circle's equation be (x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = r^2, though) to solve the original problem, only you have to apply the condition given on Mathworld... Very un-pretty though.

And now I see the mistake you did. If you have this equation:

[tex]-2/3 = -\frac{(1 - a)}{(1 - b)}[/tex]

1 - a is not necessarily equal to 2, and 1 - b is not necessarily equal to 3. Since [tex]\frac{2}{3} = \frac{4}{6}[/tex], is 2 = 4 and 3 = 6?

Last edited:
A lot of the calculations you did are not necessary: The circle such that (3, 0) and (1, -3) has radius [itex]\frac{\sqrt{13}}{2}[/itex] AND center at ((3+1)/2,(0-3)/2)=
(2, -3/2) so THAT circle is (x-2)2+ (y+ 3/2)2= 13/4.

The circle you want to find must be of the form (x-a)2+ (y-b)2= R2 (any circle is of that form). If it "touches" (is tangent to) the line
2x+ 3y+ 1= 0 then it must be tangent at (x,y) such that 2x+ 3y+ 1= 0 and
x2+ y2= R2. That's two equations for 3 unknowns.

In order to be perpendicular to the circle (x-2)2+ (y+ 3/2)2= 13/4, The must be two points (x,y) satisfying the equations of both circles and such that the derivatives y'= (y- 3/2)/(x- 2)= (y-b)/x-a). You need to solve all those equations for a and b.

What is the equation of a circle?

The equation of a circle is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, where (h,k) represents the coordinates of the center of the circle and r represents the radius.

What are the different forms of the equation of a circle?

The different forms of the equation of a circle include standard form, center-radius form, and general form.

How do I find the equation of a circle with given information?

To find the equation of a circle, you need to have the coordinates of the center and the radius. Plug these values into the appropriate form of the equation and simplify to get the final equation.

What is the relationship between the equation of a circle and its graph?

The equation of a circle represents all the points that are a fixed distance (radius) from the center. The graph of the equation will be a circle with the center at (h,k) and the radius r.

Can the equation of a circle have negative radius?

No, the radius of a circle must be a positive value. If the radius is negative, the equation will still represent a circle, but it will be a circle with the center at (h,k) and the radius r reflected across the x-axis or y-axis.