Searching for Outgassing Rate of Fused Silica (SiO2)

• Thread starter esorolla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation revolved around the search for the outgassing rate of fused Silica. The person asking for help was unable to find this information in any database and asked for recommendations on where to look. A suggestion was made to ask a librarian and the person received links to NASA and a university website with the desired data. Some concerns were raised about the clarity of explanations on the NASA website, but it was still considered a good starting point.
esorolla
Hello everybody

I'm looking for the outgassing rate of some very common material: fused Silica. The problem is that I cannot find any database where to get the value of it. I found a table where the values of the outgassing rates for some specific glass were shown, but nothing about the simple Silica (SiO2). I saw the outgassing rates of other materials but not for the SiO2.

Does any of you know where could it be found, please? Some handbook of vacuum technology or something like this?

Thanks in advance. Regards

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Ask librarian.

And I am not joking, I am observing Chemical Information Sources Discussion List, quite often they know sources for such things, or know where to look for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everybody

I made what I've been told and I received an answer from a librarian. Thank you Borek for your help. I attach the links that I received of a very kind librarian from my university just in case somebody else was looking for the same data:

http://outgassing.nasa.gov/

http://www.ee.uAlberta.ca/~schmaus/vacf/outgas.html

I'd say that in the NASA webpage some concepts are not well-explained but the data are there. In my opinion, TML and some other concepts are not well-explained, but you have something to start.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you esorella...:)

I understand your search for the outgassing rate of fused silica. This information is important for various applications, such as in vacuum technology. After conducting some research, I have found that the outgassing rate for fused silica can vary depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and surface treatment. Therefore, it may be difficult to find a specific value for the outgassing rate of fused silica in a database.

However, there are some resources that can provide estimates or guidelines for this information. One option is to consult a handbook or textbook on vacuum technology, as you mentioned. These resources often provide general outgassing rate ranges for different materials, including fused silica. Additionally, some research papers or technical reports may also provide data on the outgassing rate of fused silica in specific conditions.

Another approach could be to conduct your own experiment to measure the outgassing rate of fused silica in your specific setup. This will provide you with a more accurate value for your specific conditions.

I hope this information helps in your search for the outgassing rate of fused silica. Good luck with your research.

1. What is outgassing and why is it important to measure in fused silica?

Outgassing refers to the release of gases or vapors from a material. In fused silica, outgassing can affect its optical and mechanical properties, making it important to measure in order to ensure the material's quality and performance in various applications.

2. How is the outgassing rate of fused silica measured?

The outgassing rate of fused silica can be measured using a variety of techniques such as thermal desorption, mass spectrometry, and gas chromatography. These methods involve subjecting the material to controlled heating and measuring the gases released.

3. What factors can affect the outgassing rate of fused silica?

The outgassing rate of fused silica can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the presence of impurities or defects in the material. The manufacturing process and handling of the material can also impact its outgassing rate.

4. What are the potential applications for measuring the outgassing rate of fused silica?

The outgassing rate of fused silica is important to measure for various applications such as in the production of optical components, semiconductor devices, and spacecraft materials. It is also important for ensuring the cleanliness of vacuum systems and preventing contamination in sensitive environments.

5. How can the outgassing rate of fused silica be reduced?

To reduce the outgassing rate of fused silica, the material can be subjected to thermal treatment or cleaned using methods such as plasma or UV/ozone treatment. Proper handling and storage of the material can also help to minimize outgassing. Selecting high purity fused silica can also reduce its outgassing rate.