Recommend Calculus Text Book for self-study

In summary, if you are a math major and are planning to self-study, you should have a 3 on the AP BC exam, and you should review calculus I if you have finished high school. Your current text should be fine for self-study if you just want to compute derivatives and integrals and apply it to "real life scenarios."
f24u7
I have Calculus with Analytic Geometry Seventh Edition, by Larson is that sufficient for self-study Calculus II and III

Got a 3 on AP BC, and not taking math class this fall, so figure i can self study.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your goals and motivations in doing so? If you simply wish to compute derivatives and integrals and apply it to "real life scenarios," your current text should be fine.

If you want to learn more of the theory behind calculus, the books by spivak and apostol are generally thought of as the best.

my goals is to self learn the materials of Cal II and III

so my book does include the materials of Cal II and III?

Most introductory calculus book cover the material from calculus I-III. You're probably does go to the very last sections of your book if it covers topics such as greens theorem, stokes' theorem, and the divergence theorem then it's most likely to cover the topic through calculus III.

However a 3 on the AP BC test is the lowest passing score right? Are you sure you even know calculus I well enough to go on?

Yeah I would strongly recommend you reviewing calculus I if you received a 3 on the exam. You'll want to get the basics down before moving on.

i fully understand the concepts that underlines Calculus BC, i got a 3 on the test is because i didn't bother to study for the test since it was senior year, but reviewing sounds like a good idea.

also, besides the textbook, what tools would you guys recommend to assist me in learning Calc II

Textbook's pretty much it, calculus II is mostly covered in a typical calculus BC class.

f24u7,

I don't know what your major is, but if it is math or physics or engineering or economics or anything else that uses math a lot, and you are planning to self-study in order to skip classes, then only do so if you are absolutely sure you know the material and you are very self-motivated and somewhat gifted in math. I saw many fellow students flounder in classes (and even wash out) simply due to poor math skills - taking exams designed to be time-pressured and having to perform elaborate calculations right the first time means you really need to know this stuff. Trying to get ahead by skipping classes only works for very few people.

Don't mean to be a bummer, but I just want you to think twice before you make such a decision.

If you are just doing this for fun, then as other folks said it depends upon your goals and interests.

Good luck.

Jason

What you're saying i totally understand, it's just that I'm in a community college right now, and for some reason i am unable to enroll in calculus, but my goal is to transfer out to Berkeley, so any chance of delay in my course schedule is unacceptable.

But from what people reply earlier it seems like i already learn Calculus II, I thought calculus II is mulivariable differiention and vectors?

So let me just make this clear. I have finish high school AP BC Calculus, in which it covers Series and Sequence, more Integration techniques, and some Polar and Parametics. And this is Calculus II?

So i might assume that Calculus III is from Vectors to Stoke's Theorem?

1. What are the top recommended calculus textbooks for self-study?

Some of the top recommended calculus textbooks for self-study include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart, "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex, and "Calculus: Single Variable" by Deborah Hughes-Hallett and others.

2. Which calculus textbook is best for beginners?

For beginners, "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams and Christopher Essex is a great option as it provides a comprehensive introduction to calculus concepts and includes step-by-step explanations and examples.

3. What calculus textbook is best for advanced self-study?

If you are looking for a more advanced calculus textbook for self-study, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak is highly recommended. It covers a wide range of topics in depth and includes challenging exercises to help improve problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any calculus textbooks specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several calculus textbooks that are specifically designed for self-study. Some examples include "Calculus Made Easy" by Silvanus P. Thompson, "Calculus: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Steve Slavin, and "Calculus for the Practical Man" by J.E. Thompson.

5. Are there any online resources that can supplement a calculus textbook for self-study?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a calculus textbook for self-study. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer additional practice problems, video lectures, and other helpful materials to aid in self-study.