Calculating load requirement for light rail

• Thread starter jimminy12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Load
In summary: When you calculate the power requirements for a rail-based system, you should also consider the power required to move the rail itself. This is typically done by multiplying the weight of the rail by the speed at which the rail is moving.
jimminy12
Hi all, my first post here so first, I'll say hello. Hello.

My question is this. I'm trying to figure out how to go about getting an approximate power requirement for an expanding light rail design. The idea is to figure out what it takes to propel a single self propelled train car based on it's weight so that I can continue adding cars and still be able to calculate the required power.

Now I know this is a very complicated question but maybe someone can give me a general sense as to where I can start.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could start with a simple approximation. First, the power to accelerate the train:

work = force X distance
power = force X velocity
force = mass X acceleration

So,

Power = mass X acceleration X velocity

Or if you want to look at the average power:

Pavg = Energy / time = (1/2 mass vel^2) / time

where vel would be your final velocity.

To improve the calculation, you could consider the drag force:

F drag = 1/2 * air density * drag coefficient * vel^2 * projected area

and also the "rolling resistance" of the wheels:

F-roll = ur X F-normal

where ur = 0.002 (about) for steel wheels on rails.

The power for the rolling resistance is:

P-rolling = F-roll X vel

This simple treatment would allow you to do some very approximate initial studies.

Thanks for the reply.

I think the Pavg is going to be my best bet to go about calculating what I need to know.

If I run the calculation using an 8,000 lb train at an average speed of 60 mph for 1 minute, it reveals 3 things:

1. I get Pavg=14,400,000 (Watts?)
2. 1,800 Watts per lb of train
3. My understanding of basic physics is at about a high school level (or what I remember of it).

So, assuming I calculated this correctly, am I correct that the unit of power I just solved for is watts?

The other thing I'm wondering about is that once I know the requirement, is there a loss of overall efficiency involved in transferring the electricity from the rail (as in the 3rd rail) to the train and it's motor such as in a system like a subway or light rail? I think the efficiency of a motor runs at something like 85%, but I wonder if they lose anything more when the conductors are dragging across each other.

Double check your units. 14,400,000 watts is 19,311 horsepower. This is way too high.

To establish a baseline, look at this site:

http://ecotopia.com/ulr/

It talks about a 13,500 lb light rail train with 90 horsepower. Now using our formulas, it would take about 33 seconds to reach 60 mph. I crunched the numbers and units in Mathcad - I don't know how to cut and paste them here. But see if you can match my number.

85% is a decent motor efficiency assumption for preliminary calculations.

In San Francisco. The cable car routes each run on a single 300 HP electric motor at the substation. This motor pulls the underground cable that all the cars use. It is important that there should always be a cable car going down a hill whenever another car on the same cable is going up. In this way, each cable car does not need the power to propel itself up the hills. Also, at the end of each route, the passengers need to get out and manually turn the car around on the turnstyle.

[Edit] This is very light rail.
Bob S

Last edited:

1. What factors are considered when calculating the load requirement for light rail?

When calculating the load requirement for light rail, factors such as the weight of the train, passenger capacity, speed of the train, and track conditions are taken into account. Other factors like weather conditions, elevation changes, and curves in the track may also be considered.

2. How is the weight of the train determined for load requirement calculations?

The weight of the train is determined by adding the weight of the locomotives, cars, and any cargo or passengers on board. This weight is then used to calculate the amount of force needed to move the train and the load requirements for the track and infrastructure.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the load requirement for light rail?

The purpose of calculating the load requirement for light rail is to ensure that the track and infrastructure can safely support the weight and force of the train. This helps prevent accidents and damage to the track, and ensures the smooth and efficient operation of the light rail system.

4. How does speed affect the load requirement for light rail?

As the speed of the train increases, the load requirement also increases. This is because higher speeds require more force to move the train and put more stress on the track and infrastructure. Therefore, speed is an important factor to consider when calculating the load requirement for light rail.

5. Are there any safety regulations or standards for load requirements in light rail systems?

Yes, there are safety regulations and standards that must be followed when calculating the load requirement for light rail. These regulations and standards are set by government agencies and industry organizations to ensure the safety and reliability of light rail systems. They may vary depending on the specific location and type of light rail system.