The Energy Contained in a FunyunI must be mistaken?

• Thread starter Rhine720
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the amount of energy in a single Funyun and calculating the amount of calories per gram. The person uses a homemade Calorymeter to determine the energy gained and gets a result of 1018.7 Calories. They question whether a single Funyun can really contain 1000+ calories and discuss the difference between calories and kilocalories. It is also mentioned that food labels use uppercase "C" for Calories. The expert summarizer notes that the conversation does not mention the weight of the Funyun or an alternative method of finding the calories.
Rhine720

Homework Statement

I'm required to find the amount of energy via calories in a single funyun and then calculate the amount of calories per gram.

Homework Equations

Q=(M)C(deltaT)(Energy gained)
Q=M(deltaT) (Get Q in calories minus C because specific eat for water is same as joules per calory)
Calories per gram = calories /mass of food/1000

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set up my home made Calorymeter(Had to make it) . So I lit it on fire and got managed to get a Delta Temperature. Then did Q=61gx(16.7) And got 1018.7Calories. But my problem is..Can a single Funyun contain 1000+ calories? Am I doing something wrong? I got 0.848 for calories per gram, which sounds reasonable..I may be right but I'm confused about this. Every funyun we eat contains 1k calories?..K i just multiplied 0.848 x 1.2 and got 1.0716 ..Does this have something to do with the bag having a Capital C for 1k calories and what not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Food labels have kilocalories on them. 1 Kcal = 1000 calories = 4.2 KJ.
1 kcal for each funyun seems plausible, maybe even too low. Pure fat is about 9 kcal/g. Carbohydrates 4 kcal/g. Whats the weight of a funyun?

You have 1018 Calories for each funyun, but .848 calories per gram. The second number must be kilocalories.

I'm did not weigh the funyun. =/ However If those most a healthy person is to eat in a day is 2000-300o calories then how does can a 1018 calory funyun even be realistic?

Rhine720 said:
I'm did not weigh the funyun. =/ However If those most a healthy person is to eat in a day is 2000-300o calories then how does can a 1018 calory funyun even be realistic?

Of course those are 2000-3000 kilocalories as well. so if a funyn really has 1018 calories is 1.018 kilocalories, you could eat 2000 a day.

Rhine720 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

So I set up my home made Calorymeter(Had to make it) . So I lit it on fire and got managed to get a Delta Temperature. Then did Q=61gx(16.7) And got 1018.7Calories. But my problem is..Can a single Funyun contain 1000+ calories? Am I doing something wrong? I got 0.848 for calories per gram, which sounds reasonable..I may be right but I'm confused about this. Every funyun we eat contains 1k calories?..K i just multiplied 0.848 x 1.2 and got 1.0716 ..Does this have something to do with the bag having a Capital C for 1k calories and what not?
Were you actually instructed to find the calories this way? Could you not just read the Calories and weight info from the package?

Also (as willem2 said) 1 food Calorie = 1000 calories

Note the uppercase "C" is used for food Calories.

1. What is the energy contained in a Funyun?

The energy contained in a Funyun is approximately 7.3 calories per 1 ounce serving. This energy comes from a combination of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.

2. How does the energy in a Funyun compare to other snack foods?

The energy in a Funyun is similar to other similar-sized snack foods like potato chips and pretzels. However, it may have slightly less energy than other fried snacks due to its lower fat content.

3. What is the source of energy in a Funyun?

The main source of energy in a Funyun is carbohydrates, specifically in the form of cornmeal and wheat flour. These are processed and fried to create the crispy texture of the snack.

4. Can the energy in a Funyun be used for physical activity?

Yes, the energy in a Funyun can be used for physical activity. However, it is important to note that Funyuns are considered to be a processed and high-calorie snack, so it is best to consume them in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

5. Are there any other nutrients or benefits from consuming Funyuns?

In addition to energy, Funyuns also contain small amounts of vitamins and minerals, such as iron and thiamine. However, these amounts are not significant and do not provide significant health benefits. It is important to consume a variety of nutrient-dense foods for optimal health.