Spacetime manifold: initial condition or result of GR?

In Summary, the question asks if a local theory can dictate global properties. The speaker provides a few insights that might help focus a subsequent discussion.
JustinLevy
I apologize for the poorly worded title. Let me try to explain my question better.

A scientific theory must be predictive to be useful. Since we only know what happened in the past, the global topology of spacetime cannot be an input to the theory.

Given space-like slices/"chunk" of the manifold, and the metric on that chunk along with the fields + physics of how they evolve, GR appears to let us solve for not just the metric on the manifold outside this 'initial chunk' ... but "for the manifold itself".

For example, let's start with an initial condition in which a wormhole exists. Run the equations and we might find that the wormhole closes off in the future. We did not know the topology ahead of time ... in some sense we are solving for the manifold itself.

How can Einstein's field equations (or really any local theory) result in changes to the global structure?

I have a feeling I'm really approaching this wrong, and would like to have a discussion about it. I would appreciate your insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first reaction was that when we integrate, for example in either time or space, say from from 0 to infinity we grow our local causality to 'global' size...My other thought is that local theories work because we seem to live in a causal universe. but I have the feeling that's too simple, so I think I'm approaching your question wrong.

Here are a few insights that might help focus a subsequent discussion if they do address what is of concern to you. (I happen to be reading these currently and their comments came to mind regarding your question.)

James Hartle, in discussing a "theory of everything":

Dynamical laws predict regularities in time. It is a fortunate empirical fact that the fundamental dynamical laws are local- both in space and time. The trajectory of a tennis ball depends only on the conditions that are nearby in space and time, and not, for example, either on what is going on in distant parts of the universe or a long time ago. This is fortunate because that means the dynamical laws can be discovered and studied in laboratories on Earth and extrapolated, assuming locality, to the rest of the universe.

The initial condition of a classical theory that did not allow ignorance would have to be as detailed as the present description of the universe...

and would require more information than we could ever develop.
This means we can likely predict with near certainty only a few of the many regularities in the universe.

In another talk Roger Penrose makes these observations:

Either we do physics on a large scale, in which we use classical level physics: the equations of Newton, Maxwell or Einstein, and these equations are deterministic, time symmetrical and local. Or we may do quantum theory, if we are looking at small things; then we tend to use a different framework, where time evolution is described by what is called unitary evolution. ...according to the Schrodinger equation... deterministic, time symmetrical and local.

He goes on to note that
...the 'reduction of the state vector' or 'collapse of the wave function' (describes) the procedure that is adopted when an effect is magnified from the quantum to the classical level...Some words for this procedure are non deterministic, time assymetrical and non-local.

So Penrose says we have no non local theory with which to work.

I'll be interested to see what experts here have to say in response to your question...

My question is more basic than that.

Essentially, on one hand it seems that we would need a manifold with coordinate charts before we could even talk about solving for the metric on it (how could we even do the math without this?), but on the other hand we don't even know the global topology ahead of time so it seems in some sense we learn what the manifold looks like / topology is as we 'solve' the equations ... the equations give us a new 'chunk' of the very manifold we need to work them!?

I think I need to understand that before I can even enter into logical discussion of the 'local theory dictating global properties' question.

We have a 3d topology as part of our initial conditions, right? We evolve our 3d topology + matter distribution and that gives us a partial 4d topology. Emphasis on "partial" (generally speaking, even the complete knowledge of the space-like slice may be insufficient to solve the equations for all observers and all times.)

I think many solutions of Einstein's equations do not have a global Cauchy surface - maybe even the Schwarzschild solution doesn't have one.

1. What is a spacetime manifold?

A spacetime manifold is a mathematical concept used in the theory of General Relativity (GR) to describe the four-dimensional fabric of the universe. It combines the three dimensions of space and the dimension of time into one continuous structure, where the curvature of spacetime is determined by the distribution of matter and energy.

2. Is the spacetime manifold the initial condition or result of GR?

The spacetime manifold is both the initial condition and the result of GR. According to GR, the distribution of matter and energy in the universe determines the curvature of spacetime, which in turn affects the motion of objects in the universe. However, the initial conditions of the universe, such as the Big Bang, also play a role in shaping the spacetime manifold.

3. How does the concept of spacetime manifold differ from the traditional view of space and time?

In traditional physics, space and time are viewed as separate and absolute entities. However, in the theory of GR, space and time are combined into a single entity, the spacetime manifold, which is dynamic and affected by the distribution of matter and energy.

4. What is the significance of the spacetime manifold in understanding the universe?

The spacetime manifold is crucial in understanding how the universe works and how it has evolved over time. It provides a framework for explaining the effects of gravity on the motion of celestial objects, as well as the behavior of light and other forms of energy in the universe.

5. Are there any alternative theories to the concept of spacetime manifold?

Yes, there are some alternative theories that attempt to explain gravity and the structure of the universe, such as Newtonian mechanics and the theory of quantum gravity. However, the theory of GR, which includes the concept of spacetime manifold, has been the most successful in describing and predicting the behavior of the universe on a large scale.