Stuck on a College Project? Find Physics for Pinball Motion Here!

In summary, the conversation is about a student named Jasmine who is struggling with a project on the physics of pinball. She has been searching online and in books but has not been able to find the necessary equations and explanations. She asks for help from the other person in the conversation, who suggests searching for information on collisions, specifically elastic collisions. They provide Jasmine with some helpful links and wish her luck on her project.
jasmine89
Plz , Help me ... I have a project in the college ... I'm an IT student ...
I'm really tired of searching in the Net and books ... and yet I can find anything ...
I need to find physics for the motion of the pinball ...
I need Equations which i can explain and understand ... please help me ... :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jasmine there is a lot of physics involved including kinetic energy and elastic and gravitational potential energy energy.You will also need some knowledge of Newtons laws and collisions.I tried gooling "physics of the pinball machine" and lots of hits came up including this thread.I suggest that you do the same,extract any information that may be useful,put it all together and if you have any difficulties come back here.There may be people who can help.

Tnx , I don't know if I will find rules and equations in these pages about the rackets i mean the two pieces at the bottom of the game ... some people told me when they meet the ball it's Collision , and others called it throwing ...
and I'm so cofused & don't know which is the right ! 'cos they say it's not a throwing (I don't know what it's called in physics :( ) because the ball moves on a background, so it can't be throwing ...
so If anyone can give me the equations with a little explanation i'll be so thankfull

Last edited:
A rackets meeting a ball is best described as a collision and the physics of collisions can be quantified by Newtons laws of motion.Try searching "impulse and momentum change" and this should give you the information you need.

Tnx , I will see all of these info ... U R Grt... tnx again

Plz , help me s,till can' find the formullas for the pinball paddle ... any help?
i'm really exhausted ... i have to give the physics of the pinball to my teacher on Sunday...

Hello jasmine,you need to search for the physics of collisions.I doubt very much that you will find an article on pinball machines but you might try alternatives such as the physics of golf or the physics of tennis, the physics is basically the same whatever the collision.I googled and found several sites some of which I feel sure are at the level you need.You should also google "impulse and momentum change" for a suitable equation.Good luck.

I was searching and searching via the net about ball to surafce collision ,,,
and i found this page in the lesson 30 in nehe's site but i couldn't understand it .. eventhough i spent a lot of time just trying to slove and find the meaning of the simblos
by the way , english isn't my first language , so please if i made aany mistake in my explaninng , i peg ur pardon
here's the link :
http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=30
please , i need help , this project is driving me crazy and i have no experience in such things
and I'm so scare because of the result cos today our headmaster didn't like the physics that we've bring and we have to deliver it on Thrusday , and it's a dead line ...
please , if any 1 can help me ... just let me know ... please :cry::cry:
this 's my email :
jasmine_442002@hotmail.com
----------------------
i just want to tell y that i don't want y to explain the code
i just want to understand the physics ... clear equations which i can use simply in the coding ... if i reach that level
i hope i will with ur help , cos y know if the physics equations aren't right the game won't work ...

Hello jasmine.Sorry to hear you are having problems.I looked at the link you posted and it doesn't seem to be much help.The collisions you are dealing with are what are described as elastic collisions(approximately).In these collisions "kinetic energy" as well as "momentum" is conserved.Google these for details and equations.I found some google addresses that may be useful:
1.Elastic and inelastic collisions
2.Standard collision examples
(both of the above are from hyperphysics.phy.astr.gsu)
3.Real life applications momentum(from science clarified).Scroll down to the section entitled "crack of the bat".Good luck.

1. What is the physics behind pinball motion?

The physics behind pinball motion involves principles of mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. When the ball is launched, it has a certain amount of force and velocity, and it will continue to move until acted upon by an external force, such as hitting a bumper or flipper. The angle and speed of the ball's trajectory is determined by the angle at which it is launched and the amount of force applied.

2. What is the role of friction in pinball motion?

Friction plays a significant role in pinball motion. As the ball travels along the surface of the table, it experiences friction from the bumpers, flippers, and other obstacles. This friction slows down the ball's motion and can also cause it to change direction. The amount of friction depends on the material of the table and the ball, as well as the speed and angle of the ball's trajectory.

3. How does gravity affect pinball motion?

Gravity is a crucial factor in pinball motion. It is what pulls the ball towards the bottom of the table, causing it to accelerate as it falls. The steepness of the table's incline and the force with which the ball is launched can affect how gravity affects the ball's motion. Additionally, gravity can also play a role in the trajectory of the ball as it interacts with obstacles on the table.

4. What other forces are involved in pinball motion?

In addition to friction and gravity, there are other forces at play in pinball motion. These include the normal force, which is the force exerted by the table on the ball, and the force of impact, which occurs when the ball hits an obstacle. These forces can change the direction and speed of the ball's motion, making each play unpredictable.

5. How can understanding the physics of pinball motion improve my gameplay?

Understanding the physics of pinball motion can greatly improve your gameplay. By knowing the principles of mechanics involved, you can strategically aim your shots, adjust the force with which you launch the ball, and anticipate how the ball will react to different obstacles. This can help you achieve higher scores and become a better pinball player.