How can ORCAD PSPICE help with simulating an LM324 op amp circuit?

• Thread starter anonymoussome
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pspice
In summary: Could you explain how to use center tap transformer in PSPICE and a bridge rectifier.You can use a center tap transformer in PSPICE by setting the "Center Tap" flag in the "Inputs" tab of the "Simulation" panel. You will also need a bridge rectifier to step down the 330V ac to the LM324 range (30V). The values of L1 and L2 in the secondary of the bridge rectifier should be 166uH.
anonymoussome
ORCAD PSPICE : LM324 Help !

I am making a simulation of my project on Intercom using LM324 opamp as preamp and before Power amp ckt.

But I am having trouble with that.

I tried making an inverter using LM324 with pin 11 as ground. But this does not give correct result. Although the datasheet shows that pin 4 is +Vcc and pin 11 is GND.

The tutorials I could find on internet used a negative supply at pin 11 though it should have been ground.

Please help.

Engineering news on Phys.org

anonymoussome said:
I am making a simulation of my project on Intercom using LM324 opamp as preamp and before Power amp ckt.

But I am having trouble with that.

I tried making an inverter using LM324 with pin 11 as ground. But this does not give correct result. Although the datasheet shows that pin 4 is +Vcc and pin 11 is GND.

The tutorials I could find on internet used a negative supply at pin 11 though it should have been ground.

Please help.

Pin 11 is GND for single-supply operation, but you can also use the LM324 opamp in split supply operation, in which case pin 11 will be V-.

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM124.pdf

Why are you trying to make an "inverter" with an opamp? Do you mean inverting amplifier? You will not have much luck making an inverting amplifier with a single-supply opamp, because your output would try to be below GND, and well, the opamp is not running between split supplies, eh?

To use a single supply opamp in an inverting amplifier configuration, you will need to bias the input and output up somehow and capacitively couple your input signal in, so that both can run above GND.

Last edited by a moderator:

Got the Inverting thing...but could you please explain the single supply operationa and split supply operation?
Does split supply operation mean using symmetric and opposite power supplies as +V and -V?

and one more thing...can the Vdc used here be directly used...I mean connect one end of Vdc to pin 4 and other to GND and use another Vdc connect negative terminal to pin 11 and positive to GND?

anonymoussome said:
Got the Inverting thing...but could you please explain the single supply operationa and split supply operation?
Does split supply operation mean using symmetric and opposite power supplies as +V and -V?

and one more thing...can the Vdc used here be directly used...I mean connect one end of Vdc to pin 4 and other to GND and use another Vdc connect negative terminal to pin 11 and positive to GND?

Split supplies just means some +V and some -V. Usually they are symmetric, but they don't have to be. You might use +12V and -5V, for example.

Sorry, I'm not understanding the 2nd part of your question.

got it running thanks...nevermind for the second question... am having trouble with the simulation of intercom...will be asking as new problems crop up.

Could you explain how to use center tap transformer in PSPICE and a bridge rectifier.
I have to step down 330V ac to LM324 range (30V) so what should be the values of L1 and L2 in secondary in PSPICE? 330:30 gives 11. Using 20mH Lp should L1 and L2 be 166uH?

Also PSPICE does not simulate components outside its library...like a Center tap is available as discreet and a bridge also in the discreet library...but the Simulation omits them.

1. What is ORCAD PSPICE?

ORCAD PSPICE is a circuit simulation software used by scientists and engineers to design and analyze electronic circuits. It is a powerful tool that allows users to simulate and test the performance of their circuits before actually building them.

2. How do I install ORCAD PSPICE?

To install ORCAD PSPICE, you will need to purchase a license from the manufacturer. Once you have obtained the license, you can download and install the software from their website. You will also need to ensure that your computer meets the system requirements for the software to run properly.

3. What is LM324 and how is it used in ORCAD PSPICE?

LM324 is a quad operational amplifier (op-amp) that is commonly used in electronic circuits. It is used in ORCAD PSPICE to simulate the behavior of an op-amp in a circuit. Users can specify the parameters of the LM324 in the software to accurately model its performance in the circuit simulation.

4. How do I use LM324 in ORCAD PSPICE?

To use LM324 in ORCAD PSPICE, you will first need to add it to your circuit schematic. You can do this by selecting the component from the library and placing it in your circuit. Then, you can specify the parameters of the LM324, such as supply voltage and gain, to accurately simulate its behavior in the circuit.

5. Can I export my circuit simulation results from ORCAD PSPICE?

Yes, you can export your circuit simulation results from ORCAD PSPICE in various formats, such as text or CSV. This allows you to analyze and manipulate the data in other software programs for further analysis and visualization.