Four-vector from 3 space components?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the time component of a geometrical object in a given frame. The participants suggest using Lorentz transformation and synchronizing clocks to determine the time coordinates of events. One participant also proposes using a four-vector with specified components to determine the time component.
jason12345
If in some frame I define a geometrical object as having 3 space components, how do I then find the time component component it must have?

I've defined a geometrical object in some frame as having components Ax, Ay, Az defined by:

d/dx Ax = Fx, d/dx Ay = Fy, d/dy Ay = Fy

I require that for any frame:

1/gamma d/dx'A'x' = Fx, d/dy' A'y' = Fy, d/dy' A'y' = Fy

Is it possible to define the form the time component A0 takes?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just define your four-vector by specifying your three components in the frame in which the time component is zero, and then Lorentz transform to an arbitrary frame?

If you've mapped out a space grid with rulers, the usual approach is to put a bunch of clocks on that grid, synchronize them via the Einstein convention (assuming that this is possible, which requires the frame not be rotating), and then use the proper time read by each clock to determine the time coordinates of events.

I hope this answers your question?

Fredrik said:
Can't you just define your four-vector by specifying your three components in the frame in which the time component is zero, and then Lorentz transform to an arbitrary frame?

I don't know what the time component is at all, so I can't say if it's zero or not, but you have given me an idea. I have (A0, A1, A2, A3), with A1' transforming as:

A1' = gamma (A1 - V A0)

Setting A1 = 0 for a suitable x,t gives:

A0 = - A1'/(gamma V) -- (1)

Cheers!

1. What is a four-vector?

A four-vector is a mathematical object used in the field of physics to represent a physical quantity in four-dimensional spacetime. It contains four components, three for spatial dimensions and one for time.

2. What are the components of a four-vector from 3 space components?

The components of a four-vector from 3 space components are x, y, z, and ct, where x, y, and z represent the spatial dimensions and ct represents the time dimension, with c being the speed of light.

3. How is a four-vector different from a regular vector?

A regular vector only has three components and represents a physical quantity in three-dimensional space, while a four-vector has an additional component for time and represents a physical quantity in four-dimensional spacetime.

4. What is the significance of using a four-vector from 3 space components?

Using a four-vector from 3 space components allows us to describe physical quantities in four-dimensional spacetime, which is necessary for understanding and solving problems in the field of relativity.

5. How is a four-vector used in physics?

A four-vector is used in physics to represent physical quantities such as position, velocity, momentum, and energy in four-dimensional spacetime. It is especially important in the field of relativity, where the laws of physics must be consistent in all reference frames.