Mass + time + acceleration => watts

In summary, Andreas from Norway is working on an in-car accelerometer and is trying to calculate power, torque, and other variables. He plans to sample data from the accelerometer four times per second to calculate speed, distance, and power. He is unsure about the correct equation for power and asks for confirmation. Another user confirms his calculation and suggests looking into numerical integration for more accurate results.
andpe
Hello, this is my first real post here =)

I'm working on an in-car-accelerometer that I want to display
Torque, Horsepower and more..
I can do all the calculations when I calculate power, but here is the thing :

Power(w) from acceleration(in m/s^2) I am not sure about.

I plan to sample data from the accelerometer about four times per sec and calculate speed, distance and power from every sample.

P = Fm

Would it then be correct if I say :

power(w) =weight*acceleration*(previous speed+(acceleration*(time-previous time) ??

lets say that my accelerometer tells me that the acceleration at this moment
is 5,77 m/s^2, and that time since last reading is 0,222 seconds - given a weight of the car at 1500 kilograms, and that last recorded speed was v0 = 0 :

power(w) = 1500 * 5,77 * (0 + (5,77 * 0,222) = 11086,5watts

The power the equation above gives me, (is this correct btw?) is this the average power over the last 0,222 seconds?

Can I then add all the samplevalues for power to get the total power? If yes, then I plan to display the value that has the largest value.

Anyone? I'm I on the right track here?

Thanks

Andreas from Norway

Physics news on Phys.org
Andreas-
Force times distance = work
Force times distance over time = Force times velocity = power

F dx = joules

F dx/dt = F v = m a v = joules/second = watts

Bob S

Last edited:
Ok, so what youre saying is?

power = force * velocity
force = mass * acceleration ?? 1500kg * 5,77 m/s^2 = kg m / s^2
velocity = v0 + (at) ?? 0 + (5,77m/s^2 * 0,222s) = 0 m/s + 1,28m/s = 1,28 m/s (hmm?)
power(watts) = 8655 kg m/ s^2 * 1,28 m/s = 11078 kg m^2 / s^3

Or what? am I doing it wrong?

What equation for power would you use, Knowing the variables time between samples, speed, and acceleration at this time?

Thanks

Andreas

Last edited:
Yep, that calculation looks fine to me.
[tex]\langle P \rangle \approx m a^2 \Delta t[/tex]

Of course, to find the "true" power exerted you would have to have continuous acceleration data, which is impossible - in reality, as you know, you can only sample the acceleration at finite intervals (like every 0.222 seconds in your example). So the true average power over each 0.222 second interval may be slightly more or less than the value you will calculate. If you add up the powers from a whole bunch of these intervals, then all the discrepancies add up, and sometimes that makes your total power pretty far off.

If you'd like to learn more about how you can do a more accurate calculation, do some research into the field of numerical integration. There are a lot of resources out there that can get you started; the book Numerical Recipes is a classic. For reference, if I remember my names right, what you described in your post is called the Euler method, and the best general-purpose method (which you may want to look into) is the Runge-Kutta method.

1. What is the relationship between mass, time, acceleration, and watts?

The relationship between mass, time, acceleration, and watts is described by the equation "Mass x Acceleration x Time = Watts". This equation is known as the power formula and it explains how much power is produced or used by an object based on its mass, acceleration, and the duration of the acceleration.

2. How does an increase in mass affect the amount of watts produced?

An increase in mass will lead to an increase in the amount of watts produced, as long as the acceleration and time remain constant. This is because a larger mass will require more energy to be moved at the same speed or acceleration, resulting in a higher power output.

3. Can time affect the amount of watts produced?

Yes, time can affect the amount of watts produced. The longer the duration of the acceleration, the more power will be produced. This is because a longer acceleration time allows for more energy to be transferred to the object, resulting in a higher power output.

4. How does acceleration impact the amount of watts produced?

Acceleration plays a crucial role in determining the amount of watts produced. The higher the acceleration, the more power will be produced, as long as the mass and time remain constant. This is because a higher acceleration requires more energy to be transferred to the object, resulting in a higher power output.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of watts that can be produced with this equation?

There is no limit to the amount of watts that can be produced with this equation. The power output can continue to increase as long as the mass, acceleration, and time are increased. However, there may be practical limitations based on the capabilities of the object and the available energy source.