Questions on Electrolysis and Fuel Cells

In summary, the speed of the reaction depends on the current, power, and overpotential. The rate of the reaction is directly proportional to current, and the major factors that effect the rate are voltage, temperature, and catalyst. The speed of the reaction will decrease with increasing resistance. Platinum is a good catalyst for fuel cells because it has a good bond strength between it and hydrogen.
adoado
Hey all,

This is just a post about some questions I had regarding electrolysis and fuel cells. I know that when electricity is forced through water the water molecules split, and produce hydrogen and oxygen gas. I was wondering how things like the electrode material and how far apart they are affect the rate of reaction?

If I used zinc metal, would it be different from copper? If they are one centimeter apart, will it be faster than 5 cm apart?

I am also curious about why platinum seems to be a good choice in hydrogen fuel cells as the catalyst. I have always wondered, what makes a specific element a good catalyst -i.e. can I substitute platinum with graphite?

Cheers,
Adrian

Chemistry news on Phys.org
adoado said:
If I used zinc metal, would it be different from copper?

Yes, you want electrode from the inert material - neither is inert enough here.

If they are one centimeter apart, will it be faster than 5 cm apart?

Speed of the reaction depends in this case mostly by the current that you are able to force. Large distance between electrode means large resistance, which in turn means you will need higher voltage for the same speed. That's not all, but that's the first effect to take care of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Borek said:
Speed of the reaction depends in this case mostly by the current that you are able to force. Large distance between electrode means large resistance, which in turn means you will need higher voltage for the same speed. That's not all, but that's the first effect to take care of.

Will the speed depend more directly on the current or the power? (not that it matters for the answer since both models predict that the speed of the reaction will decrease with increasing resistance).

I would say on the current - after all, it is all about charge & Faraday's law of electrolysis. Voltage is the driving force, but it is current that does the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rate at which the reaction occurs is directly proportional to current, as borek stated. The major parameters that effect that rate are overpotential or voltage (obviously), temperature, and of course catalysts.

A catalyst is a material that lowers the activation energy of a chemical reaction yielding a greater average probability that a reaction will actually occur. In laymens terms, it reduces the size of the "energy hill" that the molecules will have to clime before they can do anything. A good catalyst is a material that makes this hill as small as possible.

What makes Pt a good catalyst for fuel cells is that it has a good intermediate bond-strength for the hydrogen charge transfer reaction. If the bond strength between the metal and the hydrogen is to weak, then the hydrogen won't bond to the surface of the catalyst. If the bond strength is to strong, then it won't leave the surface of the catalyst. So a good catalyst essentially has that "goldylocks" bond strength between itself and the reactants. For hydrogen, this peak catalytic activity is in the platinum group metals. So metals like Pt, Pd, Ir, and Rh will all make good catalysts for fuel cells or electrolysis cells.

A sort of similar thing happens on the other side of cell where oxygen is reduced but its much more complicated and not well understood so I won't go into it.

Last edited:

1. What is electrolysis and how does it work?

Electrolysis is a chemical process in which an electric current is used to break down a compound into its individual elements. It works by passing an electric current through an electrolyte solution, causing the positive ions to move towards the negative electrode and the negative ions to move towards the positive electrode. This results in the separation of the compound into its component elements.

2. What are the applications of electrolysis?

Electrolysis has many applications, including the production of metals such as aluminum and sodium, the purification of metals, the production of hydrogen gas, and the production of chlorine for use in water treatment and the production of plastics.

3. What is a fuel cell and how does it work?

A fuel cell is an electrochemical device that converts the chemical energy of a fuel into electricity. It consists of an anode, a cathode, and an electrolyte. When fuel is supplied to the anode and oxygen is supplied to the cathode, a chemical reaction occurs that produces electricity, water, and heat. Fuel cells are a clean and efficient alternative to traditional combustion engines.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of fuel cells?

The advantages of fuel cells include their high efficiency, low emissions, and use of renewable fuels. However, they can be expensive to produce and require a constant supply of fuel to operate. Additionally, some types of fuel cells can be sensitive to impurities in the fuel, and the production of hydrogen gas for fuel cells can also be costly and energy-intensive.

5. How are electrolysis and fuel cells related?

Fuel cells and electrolysis are two sides of the same coin. While electrolysis uses electricity to produce a chemical reaction, fuel cells use a chemical reaction to produce electricity. In fact, some types of fuel cells can also be used in reverse to perform electrolysis and produce hydrogen gas. This makes fuel cells and electrolysis important technologies for the production and storage of clean energy.