Putting every element in a box

In summary, if you were to put 1 atom of each element in a box, the resulting compounds would be incredibly varied and difficult to predict.
samblohm
If you were to put 1 atom every element in its elemental form in a box, what would be the resulting compounds?

1.) I know it's probably impossible.
2.) I don't mean highly radioactive elements (transuranium metals, francium, radon, astatine, etc.)
3.) I'm really only talking about some of the more reactive elements-I don't really care what happens 90% of the elements.
4.) If it's possible, don't take into account the starting positions of the atoms.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You mean all atoms - 1 of each element - in ONE box?

--
methods

I think the only impossible part about this is getting all the atoms together in the box before some of them start reacting. How about for the sake of observation, you use 1 mole of each element, instead of 1 atom?

This is an interesting question, so I'm a little hesitant to answer since I have a feeling it might be more complicated than I'm thinking. You can't really ignore the starting positions, since that ultimately will determine which reactions occur. A few compounds that come to mind as being likely to form: LiF, NaCl, KBr, BeO, MgS, etc. Obviously the most stable compounds will be the ones left in the end, so this is the basis of my prediction.

Perhaps a more tractable way of posing the question is to ask: what is the lowest energy way of combining one atom of each element. The answer is not likely to be easy to find, but at least it will have a single defined answer as opposed to worrying about starting conditions.

It's a silly and unanswerable question. Individual atoms (with the exception of noble gases) will typically immediately combine with the first atom they run into. Assuming nothing more complicated than diatomic molecules are formed, that still means over 10,000 possible compounds.

This reminds me of when I was a kid and somebody gave me a chemistry set.I got bored by following the experiments in the instruction booklet so I mixed everything together and tried to set it all alight.

1. What is "Putting every element in a box"?

"Putting every element in a box" refers to the process of organizing and categorizing different elements according to their properties or characteristics. It can be used in various fields, such as chemistry, biology, and data analysis.

2. Why is it important to put every element in a box?

Organizing elements into boxes allows for better understanding and analysis of their properties. It also helps in identifying patterns and relationships between different elements, which can be useful in solving problems or making predictions.

3. How do scientists decide which elements to put in a box?

The decision to put elements in a box is based on their properties and characteristics. Scientists may group elements based on their atomic structure, chemical reactivity, or physical properties such as color and density.

4. Can elements belong to more than one box?

Yes, elements can belong to more than one box. This is because elements can have multiple properties and characteristics that may fit into different categories or boxes.

5. How does "Putting every element in a box" benefit scientific research?

Organizing elements into boxes allows scientists to easily compare and contrast different elements, which can lead to new discoveries and advancements in scientific research. It also provides a systematic way of organizing data, making it easier to analyze and interpret results.