Dual Major Math & CS -> Grad school in either?

In summary, the individual is considering dual majoring in Mathematics and Computer Science at a Canadian university and is unsure if this will affect their ability to apply to graduate school for either subject. They are concerned about potential penalties and advantages in terms of coursework and research opportunities. The individual also mentions their current experience with a math major and taking CS courses for general requirements. It is speculated that a dual major may give an advantage in terms of complementary degrees, but may also require more time and effort. The CS department at the individual's university also accepts math majors with documented knowledge in CS, and the individual is able to take interesting courses for general requirements in addition to their focus on math.
cjwalle
Hey all,

I'm starting uni in 2010, and am still somewhat unsure of what I want to study. In Canada, I can dual major in Mathematics and Computer Science, my two main interests, which I can't do in Norway.

My question then, is.. If I dual major in Math & CS, will I be able to apply to grad school for any PhD within Mathematics or Computer Science?

Will I be penalized, for instance, if I apply to grad school for mathematics with a dual major as described above, and vice versa?

Thank you for replying.

Physics news on Phys.org
cjwalle said:
Will I be penalized, for instance, if I apply to grad school for mathematics with a dual major as described above, and vice versa?
No, so long as your grades are fine and you didn't skip out on research to do the double major.

I'm myself an undergraduate so the following is speculation. I suspect it won't penalize you directly, but you'll likely have less time for each degree than single-majors. If other people do some extra coursework they may be at an advantage, not because of their single-major, but because of their extra course work and possibly research. If you're able to keep up with students in both majors I suspect you'll be at a slight advantage as the degrees are complementary.

At my university the CS department say they will even accept math majors if they can document their foundational knowledge in CS (usually through coursework equivalent to minor, but interviews are not uncommon either). Personally I'm doing a math major, but use graduate CS courses for general requirements (our general requirements are basically that 1/6 of our coursework must be outside our major). This is a nice mix because despite my focus on math, I get to enjoy both math and CS and even get to do some interesting courses for general requirements (computational geometry, theory of computation and complexity, machine learning, randomized data structures and algorithms).

1. What is a dual major in Math & CS?

A dual major in Math & CS refers to a undergraduate degree program where a student studies both Mathematics and Computer Science simultaneously. This allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields and develop a wide range of skills in problem-solving, logical thinking, and programming.

2. Can I apply for graduate school with a dual major in Math & CS?

Yes, many graduate schools accept applicants with a dual major in Math & CS. This is because the combination of these two fields provides a strong background for further studies in various disciplines such as computer science, statistics, engineering, and more.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing a dual major in Math & CS?

There are many benefits to pursuing a dual major in Math & CS. As mentioned earlier, it provides a strong foundation in problem-solving and logical thinking, which are highly valued skills in many industries. Additionally, it opens up a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as data science, software engineering, cryptography, and more.

4. How can a dual major in Math & CS prepare me for graduate school?

A dual major in Math & CS can prepare you for graduate school in several ways. Firstly, it provides a rigorous academic experience that will challenge and develop your critical thinking and analytical skills. It also allows you to specialize in a particular area of interest within the fields of Math & CS, which can be useful when choosing a graduate program. Moreover, the combination of theoretical and practical knowledge gained through this dual major can be beneficial for graduate-level research and coursework.

5. Is it better to pursue a dual major in Math & CS or a single major with a minor?

This ultimately depends on your academic and career goals. Both options have their advantages, and it is important to consider your strengths, interests, and future plans before making a decision. A dual major may provide a more well-rounded education in both fields, while a single major with a minor may allow for more specialization in a particular area. It is recommended to speak with an academic advisor to determine which option is best for you.