Smallest mechanical timer known to you

In summary, Ramone is asking for the smallest mechanical timer and does not want one that uses electricity. Dr Dodge suggests that the microchips used for timers are tiny and it's the user interface that makes them large. They also ask what Ramone is timing and for how long. Ramone clarifies that they are only asking a harmless question and does not want to offend anyone. Dr Dodge mentions that they try to avoid discussing potentially dangerous topics and suggests that a mechanical timer can also be a fuse. Dr Dodge also mentions that the smallest purely mechanical timer they have seen was on old warheads for torpedoes, which were hand made with high craftsmanship.
ramonegumpert
Dear Mechanical Engineering experts,

I would like to know how small a mechanical timer you have ever used or seen.

Sincerely
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
the microchips that are timers are tiny. Its the user interface that makes them large. What are you timing and for how long?

dr

Hi dr dodge ,

I wanted one that does not use electricity.

thanks for reading.

sincerely
Ramone

what are you timing, how long?

dr

Oh I don't like the path this thread could take...

I agree, that is why I have been
...cautious
I feel we all have responsibilities to "control" the amount of "advice" we give
and this was pinching my comfort zone

dr

Sorry if i am asking for too much of advice.
But please do not be mistaken. My question is harmless. I just want to know what are the smallest mechanical timers.
If you feel that I am asking silly questions, please feel free to tell me directly.
I am clueless what you mean by pinching your comfort zone.

I didn't mean to offend you
I just try to steer clear of topics that can be construed as dangerous
a mechanical timer can also be a fuse
and when you as an OP fail to give specific details on what you are doing, it tends to make myself (and obviously others) uncomfortable.

dr

I believe they are called watches, they come from switzerland - I don't think that's a secret

Last edited:
very true, and nice safe info
i feel better already

dr

The smallest, purely mechanical timer I have ever seen was on old warheads for torpedoes. Extremely high craftsmanship in the one I saw. All hand made.

1. What is the smallest mechanical timer known to you?

The smallest mechanical timer known to me is the atomic clock, which measures time using the vibrations of atoms and is accurate to within one second over millions of years.

2. How does the smallest mechanical timer work?

The atomic clock works by measuring the frequency of the radiation produced when atoms move between energy levels. This frequency is then used to determine the exact time.

3. How accurate is the smallest mechanical timer?

The atomic clock is incredibly accurate, with an error of only one second per 100 million years.

4. What is the purpose of the smallest mechanical timer?

The purpose of the atomic clock is to provide the most precise and reliable time measurement for scientific research, navigation, and communication systems.

5. Is the smallest mechanical timer used for everyday timekeeping?

No, the atomic clock is not used for everyday timekeeping as it is extremely expensive and requires specialized equipment to operate. Instead, it is used as a standard for other timekeeping devices.