Manipulating inverse square graph into straight line graph

In summary: If i used y=mx or in this case F=m(1/r^2) I am going to get the same answers am I not?I can't see the difference between F=m/r^2 and F=m(1/r^2) where m is equal to kq.
sync303

Homework Statement

In the course of performing several trials I determined that if you have 2 charged metal spheres (with the same amount of charge on them) and they are both positively charged, then the force of repulsion between them is changed by 1/4 each time you double the distance between them.

This experiment no doubt sounds very familiar as it has been done many times before.

I collected my data (16N@1.0cm, 4N@2.0cm, 1N@4.0cm, and 0.25N@8.0cm) and graphed it and of course I end up with a classic looking descending, concave looking graph which is the inverse square graph, I think.

Homework Equations

Now I have been puzzling over this for quite a while and even asked my boss and some co-workers to help and even together we can not figure it out - the question is:

"manipulate the data so that the graph is a straight line graph"

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried doubling the charge, halving the distance, square rooting the distance, etc.

It always seems to end up with the same shape.

I think I might be missing the fundamental lesson here. Hopefully someone here can offer some insight.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a relationship that is force = some_factor/distance^2
And a straight line is y=mx + c

So you need to put it into this form.
y (ie. force) = m x (ie. 1/r^2 )

mgb_phys said:
You have a relationship that is force = some_factor/distance^2
And a straight line is y=mx + c

So you need to put it into this form.
y (ie. force) = m x (ie. 1/r^2 )

Thank you very much - I knew it was something fundamental.

I have been out of school for several years and am taking a course to upgrade and the formula for the graph of a line is something I have completely forgotten!

So I need to manipulate my F=kq/r^2 into a form that matches y=mx + c?

I will make an attempt to do so.

sync303 said:
So I need to manipulate my F=kq/r^2 into a form that matches y=mx + c?
Yes just plot force against 1/r^2

mgb_phys said:
Yes just plot force against 1/r^2

Ok, I am still struggling with this.

If i used y=mx or in this case F=m(1/r^2) I am going to get the same answers am I not?

I can't see the difference between F=m/r^2 and F=m(1/r^2) where m is equal to kq.

What is the purpose of manipulating an inverse square graph into a straight line graph?

The purpose of manipulating an inverse square graph into a straight line graph is to make the relationship between the variables easier to understand and analyze. The inverse square relationship can be difficult to interpret, so by transforming it into a straight line, it becomes easier to see patterns and make predictions.

What is the mathematical process of manipulating an inverse square graph into a straight line graph?

The mathematical process of manipulating an inverse square graph into a straight line graph involves taking the reciprocal of the dependent variable and plotting it against the independent variable. This transforms the inverse square relationship into a linear relationship, where the slope of the line represents the inverse square constant.

What is the significance of the slope in a straight line graph obtained from manipulating an inverse square graph?

The slope in a straight line graph obtained from manipulating an inverse square graph represents the inverse square constant. This constant is a fundamental parameter in many scientific equations and can provide valuable information about the relationship between the variables.

Can any inverse square graph be manipulated into a straight line graph?

No, not all inverse square graphs can be manipulated into a straight line graph. This method only works for inverse square relationships, where the dependent variable is proportional to the inverse square of the independent variable. Other types of relationships may require different methods for transformation.

What are the potential limitations of manipulating an inverse square graph into a straight line graph?

One potential limitation of manipulating an inverse square graph into a straight line graph is that it may not always accurately represent the true relationship between the variables. It is important to interpret the results with caution and consider the potential sources of error. Additionally, this method may not work for very small or very large values, as the data points may not fall on a straight line.