What was this truck-mounted widget?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation was about a van with a spinny widget on top that belonged to a company called Carmichael. The widget was about six inches in diameter and spun at several rotations per second, similar to the radar bar seen on boats. The rotational speed seemed to be correlated with engine speed. Some hypotheses for the widget's purpose were a wind-driven cooling fan or a GPS tracker. However, upon further research, it was discovered that the widget was actually an air vent.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I saw a van downtown that had a spinny widget on top. (The van belonged to a company called Carmichael. It had extension ladders on its roof.)

Anyway, this widget looked like a black stereo knob but six inches in diameter - a circular base with a bar across it. It spun at several rotations per second, like the short-wave radar bar seen on boats.

Its rotational speed seemed to be correlated with engine speed but I'm not positive.

Anyway, my hypotheses:
- a wind-driven cooling fan for the interior
- a GPS tracker

[ EDIT ] Ah. There it is.
Flettner-2000-white-B.jpg

Ironic. I was actually Googling for pictures of van rooves so I could PhotoShop a pic for clarity. And this pic popped up...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Air vent.

I was going to venture a small vent fan.

What is a truck-mounted widget?

A truck-mounted widget is a piece of equipment or machinery that is designed to be mounted onto a truck for transportation and use. It can be used for a variety of purposes such as lifting, drilling, or carrying heavy loads.

How does a truck-mounted widget work?

The specific function and workings of a truck-mounted widget depend on its purpose and design. Generally, it is attached to a truck and operated using hydraulics, electrical power, or mechanical systems. It may also have controls or levers for the operator to control its movements.

What are the common uses of a truck-mounted widget?

Truck-mounted widgets are commonly used in industries such as construction, mining, and transportation. They are often used for heavy-duty tasks such as loading and unloading materials, digging, and lifting heavy objects. They can also be used for specialized tasks such as fire-fighting or tree trimming.

How do you maintain a truck-mounted widget?

Maintenance of a truck-mounted widget depends on the specific type and model. Generally, it is important to regularly inspect and replace any worn or damaged parts, clean and lubricate moving parts, and follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule. It is also important to properly store and transport the widget when not in use.

Are there any safety precautions when using a truck-mounted widget?

Operating a truck-mounted widget can be dangerous if not done properly. It is important to receive proper training and follow all safety guidelines provided by the manufacturer. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, securing the widget before use, and following proper procedures for operation and maintenance.

Back