Calculating Error: Expression for Mass of Pulley m_P

• Thread starter temaire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the conversation discusses the expression for the slope of a graph and the error in the mass of a pulley. The equation given is m = (m1 + m2 + mp)/g, and the attempted solution is to find the error as \delta_p = g\delta_m + \delta_{m1} + \delta_{m2}. However, it is noted that this solution may not be correct and further clarification is needed. A possible correction is suggested, where g may have been substituted for a in the equation. The conversation concludes with a proposed solution to find \Delta m_p in terms of other quantities.
temaire

Homework Statement

The expression for the slope of the graph of [tex](m_{1} - m_{2})[/tex] versus a is given by [tex]m = (m_{1} + m_{2} + m_{p})/g[/tex]. What is the expression for the error in the mass of the pulley, [tex]m_{P}[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is [tex]\delta_{p} = g\delta_{m} + \delta_{m1} + \delta_{m2}[/tex]

I don't think this is right. Can someone show me where I went wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
temaire said:

Homework Statement

The expression for the slope of the graph of [tex](m_{1} - m_{2})[/tex] versus a is given by [tex]m = (m_{1} + m_{2} + m_{p})/g[/tex]. What is the expression for the error in the mass of the pulley, [tex]m_{P}[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is [tex]\delta_{p} = g\delta_{m} + \delta_{m1} + \delta_{m2}[/tex]

I don't think this is right. Can someone show me where I went wrong?
None of this makes any sense, as far as I can tell. In your first sentence you say
temaire said:
The expression for the slope of the graph of [tex](m_{1} - m_{2})[/tex] versus a is given by [tex]m = (m_{1} + m_{2} + m_{p})/g[/tex].
If you are graphing m1 - m2 vs. a, why doesn't a appear in the equation?

I'm not sure if this would help, but [tex](m_{1}-m_{2})g = (m_{1}+m_{2})a[/tex]

I think g might have been substituted for a.

Here's where I think this is going. You have m = (1/g)(m1 + m2 + mp), so
[tex]dm = \frac{\partial d m}{\partial m_1}\Delta m_1 + \frac{\partial d m}{\partial m_1}\Delta m_1 +\frac{\partial d m}{\partial m_1}\Delta m_1[/tex]
[tex]= (1/g)[1 \Delta m_1 + 1 \Delta m_2 + \Delta m_p] [/tex]

Now solve for [itex]\Delta m_p[/itex] in terms of the other quantities.

1. How do I calculate the error in the mass of a pulley?

To calculate the error in the mass of a pulley, you will need the uncertainties in the measurements of the other variables involved in the expression. These variables include the radius of the pulley (r), the acceleration due to gravity (g), and the angular velocity of the pulley (ω). The error in the mass of the pulley (Δm_P) can be calculated using the following formula: Δm_P = m_P * (Δr/r + Δg/g + Δω/ω). This assumes that the errors in each variable are independent and have a small relative value compared to the actual value.

2. What is the significance of calculating the error in the mass of a pulley?

Calculating the error in the mass of a pulley is important because it allows you to determine the accuracy and precision of your experiment. By understanding the potential error in your measurements, you can make adjustments to improve the reliability of your results. Additionally, knowing the error in your mass calculation can help you determine the overall uncertainty in any further calculations that use this value.

3. How can I reduce the error in my mass of pulley calculation?

To reduce the error in your mass of pulley calculation, you can take several steps. First, ensure that your measurements of the other variables (radius, acceleration due to gravity, and angular velocity) are as precise as possible. This can be achieved by using appropriate measuring tools and techniques. Additionally, you can take multiple measurements and calculate the average to reduce random errors. Finally, be sure to account for any systematic errors that may affect your measurements.

4. Can the error in the mass of a pulley be negative?

No, the error in the mass of a pulley cannot be negative. The error in this calculation is determined by the uncertainties in the measurements of other variables, which can only have positive values. If the calculated error is negative, it means there is an error in your measurements or calculation process and you should review your methodology.

5. How is the error in the mass of a pulley different from the uncertainty in the measurement?

The error in the mass of a pulley is a specific calculation that takes into account the uncertainties in the other variables involved in the expression. It is a measure of the potential deviation from the true value. On the other hand, the uncertainty in measurement is a general term that refers to the range of values within which the true value is expected to lie. It takes into account all possible sources of error in a measurement, including systematic and random errors.